• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon does not seem to know about thier own binoculars (1 Viewer)

AnotherNightOwl

Registered Guest
Canon does not seem to know about their own binoculars

:brains:

I have seen on at least one site that sell binoculars, that they state that the Canon IS 10x30 is water resistant. On other sites it does not mention it.
So to be sure i thought i would get in touch with Canon, they are bound to know...or so i thought. After all it is their product.

I sent an email to Canons support team(technical department) asking if indeed the Canon IS 10x30 is water resistant or not. Two days later i got a reply., which you can read below.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding your Canon product.

In response to your query, please be advised that the 10x30 IS binoculars is water resistant. You can find the product specification at http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Pro...mage_Stabilisation/10x30_IS/index.asp?specs=1

Yours sincerely,

Canon Support Centre

Should our answer not fully resolve your problem, please feel free to either re-submit a new query by clicking here, or alternatively call our support helpdesk at 08705 143 723 Monday to Friday from 9:00AM to 5:30PM stating the 7 digit reference number in the subject of this email.

We aim to answer queries as soon as possible. Responses on average take 2 to 3 business days (or the next working day if submitting on a weekend or public holiday).

© Copyright 2005 | Terms and Conditions

Great i thought :t:

As you can see it says yes they are water resistant and provides a link to show they are.
So next i sent another email asking what tests they do, or have to undertake to be able to be classed as water resistant.Also what is Canons definition of water resistant. I know water resistant does not mean water proof or weather proof.

Sure enough another email comes through... but this time it left me puzzeled. :h?:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the Canon 10X30 IS Binoculars.

From the information supplied I can confirm that the 10X30 IS Binoculars are not resistant to water. Other models such as the 18X50 IS and 15X80 IS binoculars can be used in rain or snow and rinsed in running water to remove mud and dirt. The high end range of Canon binoculars, the 10X42L IS WP, are protected up to the JIS Level 7 standard, which means they are protected agains the effects of temporary immersion in water.

Yours sincerely,

Canon Support Centre

Should our answer not fully resolve your problem, please feel free to either re-submit a new query by clicking here, or alternatively call our support helpdesk at 08705 143 723 Monday to Friday from 9:00AM to 5:30PM stating the 7 digit reference number in the subject of this email.

We aim to answer queries as soon as possible. Responses on average take 2 to 3 business days (or the next working day if submitting on a weekend or public holiday).

NO THEY ARE SAYING NO THEY ARE NOT :eek!: What's going on?

I have now sent another email asking why they are sending me conflicting information, and i am still waiting for a reply.

If anyone on this forum works for Canon and knows, could you please tell me and any others that have purchased these " Are they water resistant or not?" :h?:

If they are not, why have are you giving false information to prospective purchasers? :C

Dont get me wrong i would not swap the Canon IS 10x30 for anything...well maybe the Canon IS 10X42 L

Last edited:
Canon have made up their mind.

AnotherNightOwl said:
:brains:

NOW THEY ARE SAYING NO THEY ARE NOT :eek!: What's going on?

I have now sent another email asking why they are sending me conflicting information, and i am still waiting for a reply.

If anyone on this forum works for Canon and knows, could you please tell me and any others that have purchased these " Are they water resistant or not?" :h?:

If they are not, why have are you giving false information to prospective purchasers? :C

Dont get me wrong i would not swap the Canon IS 10x30 for anything...well maybe the Canon IS 10X42 L

At last Canon have made up their mind. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have now recieved another email from Canon. This time they tell me ...

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the Canon 10x30 IS Binoculars.

From the information supplied I can confirm that Canon are sorry for the inconvenience caused with the conflicting information that has been provided. However I can confirm that the following information is correct.

"The 10X30 IS Binoculars are not resistant to water. Other models such as the 18X50 IS and 15X80 IS binoculars can be used in rain or snow and rinsed in running water to remove mud and dirt. The high end range of Canon binoculars, the 10X42L IS WP, are protected up to the JIS Level 7 standard, which means they are protected agains the effects of temporary immersion in water."

The information displayed on the website will be corrected to avoid any future confusion.

Yours sincerely,

Canon Support Centre

Although there has been some confusion, i must give credit to Canon for replying to ALL emails... but mostly i think they deserve credit for holding their hands up and admitting their mistake.

WELL DONE CANON :t:

It's good to know that some companies do listen to their customers... ARE YOU LISTENING Zeiss? :storm:

Last edited:
Their second reply is correct. Water resistent, Water proof, All weather,....these words really, sometimes cause misunderstanding.

intresting they are acording to Mircoglobe ( Description - Canon 10x30 IS Image Stabilising Weather Resistant Binoculars: )
Now i always thought weather was rain sleat and snow :) with a little UK sun now and then lol
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back