• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BL versus BD (1 Viewer)

Marko_

the Finn
Can anyone say if there is any significant difference in image quality between BL 8x32 BR and BD 8x32 BR ?
Are the differences only in the body, or also in the optics?

Thanks,

Marko

Bl

Hmm ... no reply?

Does anyone know how good the optics of the BL line are ?
(Or the BL 8x32 BR specifically).

Marko

Marko_ said:
Hmm ... no reply?

Does anyone know how good the optics of the BL line are ?
(Or the BL 8x32 BR specifically).

Marko

I'm almost positive that the BD has an aspheric lens, whereas the BL does not. Other than that (and the body difference), I don't know of other major differences. I've never had the pleasure of seeing either of those that you listed in person.

Best,
Christopher

Macaoidh said:
I'm almost positive that the BD has an aspheric lens, whereas the BL does not. Other than that (and the body difference), I don't know of other major differences. I've never had the pleasure of seeing either of those that you listed in person.

Best,
Christopher

Yes, it seems the BL doesn't have the aspheric lens. It would be interesting to know how much difference that makes.

Marko

Well, just to let you know, I ordered the BD 8x32 BR, after all!

If anyone is interested, I can tell more when I get it.

Marko

Marko_ said:
Well, just to let you know, I ordered the BD 8x32 BR, after all!

If anyone is interested, I can tell more when I get it.

Marko

Hi Marko,I know you have ordered this already,but there is a review of the 8.5 and 10 Minox BR in the "Equiptment Review" section [there is a link on top of the page]on this site under Large Binoculars.I hope this helps.:)
Regards,Steve

mooreorless said:
Hi Marko,I know you have ordered this already,but there is a review of the 8.5 and 10 Minox BR in the "Equiptment Review" section [there is a link on top of the page]on this site under Large Binoculars.I hope this helps.:)
Regards,Steve

Thanks, Steve.

Judging from that review, I imagine the 8x32 should be fine!

Marko

Hi Marko,I'm glad I could help.They didn't try the BLs I guess.Good luck with this.Doug of Cameraland a vender really likes these BD series,he has a post with the Minox forum. Regards,Steve

Last edited:
Apologies for digging up a 3 year old thread but I have a rather battered pair of BDs (The earlier non-aspheric version) and have been offered a pair of BLs in part exchange for my Leica 10x32BN Trinovids and am wondering how they would compare to the BDs?

Though I've had them a little while I've only recently really started appreciating how good these BDs are, I got them secondhand off Ebay over a year ago and when they came they had a scratch on the objective lens and various light cleaning marks over the eyepiece lenses, (I have a thread going on this) which I didn't complain about as I bought them at a very cheap price. The scratches have worried me but I've been very pleased with the clarity of their image quality (comparable to the Trinovids!)

Apologies for digging up a 3 year old thread but I have a rather battered pair of BDs (The earlier non-aspheric version) and have been offered a pair of BLs in part exchange for my Leica 10x32BN Trinovids and am wondering how they would compare to the BDs?

Though I've had them a little while I've only recently really started appreciating how good these BDs are, I got them secondhand off Ebay over a year ago and when they came they had a scratch on the objective lens and various light cleaning marks over the eyepiece lenses, (I have a thread going on this) which I didn't complain about as I bought them at a very cheap price. The scratches have worried me but I've been very pleased with the clarity of their image quality (comparable to the Trinovids!)

I would be inclined to turn the trade down and keep the Leica unless you have the opportunity to compare them closely first.

I have the Minox BDBN Asph 10 x 32 and the Nikon 10 x 32 LX L (US version of HG L) and the Nikon is better. Quite a bit better.
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back