• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Bishops - Mallorca (1 Viewer)

Acanthis

Hi all,

I came across some info on the web about flocks of Golden Bishops Euplectes afer at Pla de Sant Jordi near the airport on Mallorca. I know they're plastics and no doubt disregarded by most birders but I wouldn't mind a look at them at some point when I go to there on holiday in a fortnights time.
Can anyone supply me with some site and access details for this species? I figured the most likely site might be at Ses Fontanelles.

Might be worth a PM to ESTEBANNIC who lives in Mallorca, he might be able to tell you more.
Mind you we have been to Mallorca for about the past 12 years or so and I can't recall them.
When doing the return journey to the airport keep an eye in the fields either side as they always have large numbers of Egret in.

Marmot said:
Might be worth a PM to ESTEBANNIC who lives in Mallorca, he might be able to tell you more.
Mind you we have been to Mallorca for about the past 12 years or so and I can't recall them.
When doing the return journey to the airport keep an eye in the fields either side as they always have large numbers of Egret in.

Cheers Marmot, I took your advice but I've not heard back from ESTEBANNIC yet. When I do I'll post any available details. |=)|

Is it the case that Golden Bishops are escapes?? I had always assumed, that like many other species, they had found the southern Med to their liking and started colonising from Africa..... I believe that they are quite common in Donana etc...

Ruby

Ruby said:
Is it the case that Golden Bishops are escapes?? I had always assumed, that like many other species, they had found the southern Med to their liking and started colonising from Africa..... I believe that they are quite common in Donana etc...

Ruby

Hi Ruby

I reckon they would be escapes. Exotic birds are very popular in Spain and Portugal, and one way or another these birds find their way into the wild. I think most don't become established but certain species have, and are well settled in around the Iberian peninsula.
I've never been to Africa but I will be in Mallorca in 2 weeks time, and I saw a chance to study this fascinating wee bird in it's adopted habitat.
Another BF member living in Mallorca reckons they haven't been recorded for years so maybe they've died out now. Oh well!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back