• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Milan International Airport (1 Viewer)

miller.rob

On our way to Madrid, Spain, my birding friends and I will have a 7 hour stop-over in Milan, Italy.

Does anyone know if there are any "birdy" spots around the airport? I'm hoping to make the best of the stop-over and rack up a few Lifers.

Thanks for your help!

Rob Miller
Ontario, Canada

There are three international airports in Milan (Linate, Malpensa and Orio al Serio-Bergamo), but usually intercontinental flights head to Malpensa.

Malpensa Airport is located in Ticino Natural Park, one of the finest birding destinations in Lombardy. The park is renowned mainly for hosting some of Italy's most important breeding colonies of herons.

Here you can find more detailed information.

Rob,
Marco is likely correct. It would be Malpensa almost surely. By the way, even though touted as being Milan's airport, actually a malapropism - much nearer to Varese and about an hour and 20 minutes from Milan center.

marcofioratti said:
There are three international airports in Milan (Linate, Malpensa and Orio al Serio-Bergamo), but usually intercontinental flights head to Malpensa.

Malpensa Airport is located in Ticino Natural Park, one of the finest birding destinations in Lombardy. The park is renowned mainly for hosting some of Italy's most important breeding colonies of herons.

linate ! what fine memories i have of linate airport, being slammed against the wall by two cops with sten guns and searched, then flung aside with no apology. welcome to italy stuart ! ME with not even a parking ticket to my name. never again . :-C

stuart C smith said:
linate ! what fine memories i have of linate airport, being slammed against the wall by two cops with sten guns and searched, then flung aside with no apology. welcome to italy stuart ! ME with not even a parking ticket to my name. never again . :-C

I'm really sorry you were treated so roughly in my native town...

Anyway I can assure you that this is not a common practice in italian airports

marcofioratti said:
I'm really sorry you were treated so roughly in my native town...

Anyway I can assure you that this is not a common practice in italian airports
thank you . your english is fine, better than my italian. kind regards , stuart.

Marco,
Prima di tutto, benvenuto a BirdForum. In secondo luogo, non tutti (veramente quasi nessuno) è così malaccorto a ventilare questo tipo di vecchio rancore, cose che possano succedere dovunque, anche in Inghilterra, e non solo in Italia certamente. Ancora, benvenuto!

marcofioratti said:

Marcofiorati and Cuckooroller:

Yes, it is indeed the Malpensa Airport (and silly me for not including that in my first e-mail!). Thank you both for your replies! And thank you Marofiorati for the link to the Park.

I am really looking forward to the trip, and hoping we will be able to scoot out and visit the park during our stop-over.

All the best!

Rob

Toronto, Ontario
CANADA

Rob,
Marco is likely correct. It would be Malpensa almost surely. By the way, even though touted as being Milan's airport, actually a malapropism - much nearer to Varese and about an hour and 20 minutes from Milan center.

Marco and Steve!

We ended up not having enough time to leave Malpensa, but wandering the airport (and staring out of every window) we did manage to see four Lifers:

Grey Wagtail
Hooded Crow
Eurasian Kestral
Black Redstart

Thanks again,

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back