• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Corsica (1 Viewer)

tichodrome

Hi everyone,

I'm off to Corsica in a week's time, and would be very grateful for any recent information or internet resources on birding around the island. My main targets are the finch and the nuthatch, but if time permits will be searching for species impossible or hard to find in mainland France (including Marmora's and Moltoni's Subalpine Warbler, Audouin's Gull).

Thanks in advance for any info, will report back on what I see.

tichodrome said:
Hi everyone,

I'm off to Corsica in a week's time, and would be very grateful for any recent information or internet resources on birding around the island. My main targets are the finch and the nuthatch, but if time permits will be searching for species impossible or hard to find in mainland France (including Marmora's and Moltoni's Subalpine Warbler, Audouin's Gull).

Thanks in advance for any info, will report back on what I see.

Hi tichodrome,

I'm just back from a lovely few days in Corsica. I didn't have a car, so didn't see much of the island, but was based in Corte and saw a lot of the specialities around there. I managed to find a Nuthatch in Restonica - a male at the nest in fact. This was in the forests above the camp site about 6 or 7 kms along the valley from Corte. I hoped to see more at Vizzavona but probably didn't go to the right areas. Much of the forest there is beech, so isn't any good for Nuthatchs. I suspect they can be found there in the pine forests though. Most visiting birders seem to see them at Haut Asco.

The Citril Finch is fairly easily encountered, particularly in areas of pine forest or maquis. I saw my first pair near the footbridge in the middle of Corte whilst on my way from my hotel to the centre of town!

Marmora's Warbler seemed to be reasonably common in areas of maquis around Corte. I didn't see any Subalpine Warblers in Corsica nor did I see any Audouin's Gulls, although I was hardly at the coast at all.

Other birds I saw included a subadult Lammergeier in Restonica and an Alpine Accentor high up above Vizzavona. I was really impressed with the general 'birdiness' of Corsica with generally plenty of activity and song in most habitats. Corte seems like a good base, even if you have a car, because it's very central and a lot of the specialities can be seen nearby. It's a very pleasant town with a range of accommodation and facilities too.

Thanks Andrew! Much of my birding on this trip will be dependent on convincing a non-birder with a car of the aesthetic qualities of various sites. Is Corte worth a visit for hiking/sightseeing as well as birding?

Andrew Whitehouse said:
Hi tichodrome,

I'm just back from a lovely few days in Corsica. I didn't have a car, so didn't see much of the island, but was based in Corte and saw a lot of the specialities around there. I managed to find a Nuthatch in Restonica - a male at the nest in fact. This was in the forests above the camp site about 6 or 7 kms along the valley from Corte. I hoped to see more at Vizzavona but probably didn't go to the right areas. Much of the forest there is beech, so isn't any good for Nuthatchs. I suspect they can be found there in the pine forests though. Most visiting birders seem to see them at Haut Asco.

The Citril Finch is fairly easily encountered, particularly in areas of pine forest or maquis. I saw my first pair near the footbridge in the middle of Corte whilst on my way from my hotel to the centre of town!

Marmora's Warbler seemed to be reasonably common in areas of maquis around Corte. I didn't see any Subalpine Warblers in Corsica nor did I see any Audouin's Gulls, although I was hardly at the coast at all.

Other birds I saw included a subadult Lammergeier in Restonica and an Alpine Accentor high up above Vizzavona. I was really impressed with the general 'birdiness' of Corsica with generally plenty of activity and song in most habitats. Corte seems like a good base, even if you have a car, because it's very central and a lot of the specialities can be seen nearby. It's a very pleasant town with a range of accommodation and facilities too.

tichodrome said:
Thanks Andrew! Much of my birding on this trip will be dependent on convincing a non-birder with a car of the aesthetic qualities of various sites. Is Corte worth a visit for hiking/sightseeing as well as birding?

Corte is quite an impressive town, built on top of a prominent rock at the joining of two rivers, and there are some interesting old buildings etc. The area as a whole is excellent for walking, with spectacular walks along the Restonica and Tavignano valleys. From Corte, you can get the equally spectacular train to various other places from which good walks are possible e.g. Vizzavona.

Hi Tichodrome,

I'll second Corte being a "nice" town for non-birders. We had a singing Subalp in a garden in the small town at a major road junction half way between Corte and Bastia (we were hitching). We saw both the Finch and the Nuthatch (eventually) in the Pines quite high above Vizzavona where the pines thin out into steeper rockier terrain.

Other birds not on the French mainland that we saw were Italian Sparrow (Vizzavona and Bastia) and Spotless Starling (quite numerous). Obviously I wasn't that bothered about Marmora's Warbler as I'm from Britain ! ;)

Good luck

Thanks Larry! A long time ago I twitched a Marmora's at Sizewell, but it's been long enough that I'd like to get reacquainted with the species.

Larry Wheatland said:
Hi Tichodrome,

I'll second Corte being a "nice" town for non-birders. We had a singing Subalp in a garden in the small town at a major road junction half way between Corte and Bastia (we were hitching). We saw both the Finch and the Nuthatch (eventually) in the Pines quite high above Vizzavona where the pines thin out into steeper rockier terrain.

Other birds not on the French mainland that we saw were Italian Sparrow (Vizzavona and Bastia) and Spotless Starling (quite numerous). Obviously I wasn't that bothered about Marmora's Warbler as I'm from Britain ! ;)

Good luck

Dear all, I forgot to report back on what I saw in Corsica. I did pretty well considering the focus of the trip wasn't birding, getting most of my target birds. Trip report and photos here:
http://www.surfbirds.com/blogs/rjhall/archives/2007/04/

A French birder who visited Corsica for two weeks at about the same time as me did even better, with 3 Pallid Harriers, Red-footed Falcon, Spotted and Little Crakes, Richard's and Red-throated Pipit and Aquatic Warbler. Gripping!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back