• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

883 - First impressions - short review (1 Viewer)

fyamin

I just got the new 883 with a 25x LER. Here are first impressions.

My other scope is a KOWA 661.

1. The 25X LER eye piece is quite big nicely made, the new locking mechanism is quite good. The eyepiece has a hood which is the same depth as the eye relief so you have to get your eye right on the hood. kind of defeats the purpose of the LER. Comes with a nice leather case completely useless if you use this eyepiece all the time so that goes in the box and storage. Could cut down on the cost if that was not included. The rubber cover is so loose that it just drops off on its own. Its really soft.

2. The scope, really nice size no huge like the 823, very light. The magnesium body feels very solid but a cover is a good idea to protect from scratches. Does not come with a hard eyepiece cover like my 661. It would have been a good idea, that is the only grip I have other then the eyepiece rubber cover. The main focus wheel is kind of stiff but motion is precise, the fine focus is very smooth. The front hood pops out nicely, But I would get a 95mm clear format filter for protection. The hood has two raised edges on one side to act as sight alignment, but doesn't work well. the 823 has a better alignment sight with a hole you can look through and its precise.

The image is just awesome crisp perfect colors and sharp.

So only three grips, soft rubber cover for eyepiece, missing stay on hard cover for eyepiece and the missing alignment sight. Don't like the hood on the LER eyepiece either.

Added:
The rubber hood on the eyepiece can be removed that is good, but then the eyepiece lens is completely exposed. there are thread but it does not come with any kind of cover that can fit it after the hood is removed. So you have to put the hood on again and put the flimsy rubber cover on the hood.

I suspect more accessories to come since there are threads on the eyepiece.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back