• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tawny Owl resident (1 Viewer)

Trevor Lee

hi on two nights now we have heard a Tawny owl screeching in a tree very close to our garden.

Behind the gardens are a numbe r of tree's, a small wood then a field so perfect spot for a hunting owl. lots of cover, some very mature trees, and a field to hunt over.

Obviously I dont want to search for the owl with a bright light as I beleive they are unable to see for at least 15 minutes if a bright light is focused on their eyes. Does anyone have any suggestions!

Also i would like to take a picture a)if I can locate its roost, and b) its not too dark.

Unfortunately my camera is very old (35mm SLR with zoom lens)

Tips on how to photograph would be helpful.

Cheers

Trevor

Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional!!

With a camera flash, the burst of light is so quick that it won't greatly discomfort the bird - like a flash of lightning.

If you want to get the owl to come close, imitate its hoot. I've had Tawnies land on top of the security light 3 yards from my bedroom window, and fly two feet past my face, by doing that.

Michael

You two are making me jealous! Is it possible for you to borrow or steal a night vision thingy. I saw one recently for £200, if I was in a good area for owls I might consider it but otherwise it might be good to take advantage of the clear nights when they happen.

I think you should try to see if you can see it in a more open site, I have a regular group of them, just outside my window, my group have one with a very ditinctive sore throat call, and has been there for several years now, but I have also had the pleasure of having one cause a little hilarity when It flew to the top of the telegraph pole in our garden, sat there watching the blackbirds feeding on the freshly watered grass below, after a while it tipped its head on one side then the other, and then "Hooed" making all the blackbirds scatter with their alarm calls in all directions, it was a though this bird had a sense of humour. Nina.

Hi There
If i was you i'd take a wander thru the area at or just before dusk keeping your eyes up in the trees looking for one in silhouette,thats how i saw my first Tawny owl after years of hearing them call.
I've just been into my local Tesco's just outside Camberley in surrey ( at 315 am) and as i came out i could hear at least 2 owls calling, this is a first for me in this location but i have heard them calling about 1 1/2 miles away around a local lake.
Happy owlspotting
Pete:smoke: B :)

Hi Trevor,

locating a roosting tawny owl can be really tricky, they have near perfect camouflage.

As Michael suggests, 'hoo hooing' or 'kewicking' can bring them into the open.

Another trick is to search the ground for pellets, although tawnies tend not to cast at the roost site they don't always follow the rules! That was how I found my first wild tawny.

Or try listening for the smaller birds making a lot of fuss and noise. it is often the best way to locate a roosting tawny, birds find them much easier than we do and when they do they don't like it!

Good luck and happy hunting.

Woody

The only worry about imitating the call of the owl wouldn't be being investigated by the bird but by the local bobby!

All very useful information of course. Good luck!

Hi Trevor

We have many Tawny's around our house that are very vocal at the moment, i have found that they become active well before dusk and are pinpointed by birds alarm calls (usually Blackbirds) as previously suggested, this is probably the best way of spotting them.

PS. Going out at dawn is better as i have seen more in daylight that way (still flying around an hour after daybreak)

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back