• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large billed Reed Warbler - Re-discovered (1 Viewer)

Marmot

All too often the word rarity is used, on this occasion it throughly deserves the use...as it is a World rarity.

I thought I would make mention of this one which will probably been overlooked by many.

We are most honoured that Sumit K Sen (a long standing member of BF) has uploaded a photo of this species which was last noted in 1867, until one was trapped in Thailand last year and then Sumit managed to get a photo of one in the wild.

Sumit came across this one whilst birding earlier this month,his first thoughts were a Blyths Reed Warbler, but he just thought there was something different about its behaviour. Luckily Sumit and his fellow birders got the photos and noted various differences. They had if varified and it was confirmed as a Large billed Reed Warbler.

Many thanks and congratultions to Sumit for finding this bird after 139 years and for him sharing it with Birdforum.

Here is a link to the gallery photo - Please take the time to make a comment on this.
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php?photo=138101

For further info
http://www.kolkatabirds.com/orinus.htm

Marmot, I utterly agree with you. I think this is a great finding and to have the picture posted in this Forum is a huge privilege.

You did very well starting this thread, to attract attention on such an event. As the bird is not a colourful one, it can go unnoticed among the loads of pictures of the gallery.

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back