• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cooper's Hawk Bathing (1 Viewer)

AriadnesArt

Well, we've named him "Coop." He's every bit as handsome as Gary Cooper, after all (more, really). He comes almost every day and takes marvelous undignified baths in our birdbath. He has made a few tries at the Mourning Doves, but our yard doesn't have enough open area for him to make a success of it, and they do get away easily. Of course, he needs to eat, too. I just don't feel comfortable handing him a live bird on a silver platter, so to speak. Anyway, here he is. I have literally hundreds of pix of him, many series of him bathing, but because I can only upload one per post in this forum, it's difficult to show a series here.

Attachments

• img_3064 coop.jpg
    img_3064 coop.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 328
And once more--this one is going into our Annual Photographers of Wet Canvas calendar this year:

Attachments

• img_3087 coop resz.jpg
    img_3087 coop resz.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 289
KCFoggin said:
What a treat this must be for you to watch. I know I would be grinning from ear to ear.

Yes, an unbelievable treat. Can't believe how fortunate I've been these past 5 or 6 months to be able to observe him from just 15 feet away, and so often. He's even gotten somewhat used to my presence and I've been able to approach him even closer as he watched but remained at the bath. And he's left a few gorgeous feathers around on my lawn, as well.

BTW, I forgot to mention that these photos were taken with the Canon D60, Canon 75-300 IS USM lens.

Wonderful photos, Eileen! THank you for sharing them. I would never get anything done, if I had him to watch in my garden!

Wow! This is so cool. I've never seen a raptor bathing, let alone bathing in a bird bath! Great shots!

Leslie

Nice shot and I'd to say you are so lucky, AriadnesArt. I'd never had a chance visiting a raptor so close.

But What is the scientific name of the raptor?

Lihu

Yes I agree with Geraldine if I had such a bird visiting my garden on a regular basis you wouldn't drag me away from the windows. All I get is the occassional visit from my local Sparrow Hawk on the lookout for a tasty meal (Starling, Blackbird, House Sparrow etc.)

Lovely shots Eileen,

You are most fortunate to have such a bird visiting your garden let alone bathing there too :t:

A great set of photos as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back