• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Indigo Buntings (1 Viewer)

I have seen Indigo Buntings at my feeder in the spring in years past, but only for a day or two at the most. There are four buntings coming to my feeder for over a week. I live in SE Arkansas. I know the books say that they do range this far south and west in the Summer, but I have never had them spend the summer. I know that it is still eary spring and the weather patterns have played heck with the normal routine for birds, animals and plants.

If anyone has any knowledge of Buntings in Arkansas, I would appreciate hearing from you.

thanks, |:d|

Hi, Arkie,

I have seen quite a few indigo buntings in Northwest Arkansas around Jasper along the Buffalo River and around Little Rock and Petit Jean mountian. I've spent a some time around Brinkley & Monroe, but never recall seing one there although now that I think about it, most of my SE Arkansas visits are in the fall and winter when buntings are likely not around.

Dick

Hello Arkie I was just reading the post here. I live in NC Arkansas and this spring I have seen a Indigo Bunting at my feeder for the past 2 days. I have never seen one before so I was real excited. Although last spring I had 2 Rose-breasted Grosbeaks visit my feeder for a few days and a Towhee stayed all summer. So far this spring I have had the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks they stayed just for a few hours. I have a Blue Grosbeak that has been here for almost 2 weeks. I also had a Oriole he just flew in landed on my hummingbird feeder then off the went. I have not seen the Towhee but I have heard him. I am new to birding so seeing these Beautiful birds here in Arkansas really got me so excited all I want to do is set and watch my feeder. I sure didnt know we had such pretty birds comeing through here.

I still have my indigo buntings. In fact i have four of them coming to my feeders. The goldfinches that came in about the same time of the buntings have refuel and moved on northward, so I'm getting hopeful that the buntings are setting up house in Seiver county. They are so pretty. I spend a lot of time just keeping watching the feeders to make sure they are still in the area.:clap:

I still have the goldfinches lots of them. They have been here for weeks now. I have 2 indigo buntings, and a blue grosbeak and 2 rose breasted grosbeaks that I thought were gone but are still here. The blue gosbeak came in the sametime as a female about 3 weeks ago. I really hope they stay all summer long. Everyday I set and watch hopeing they will show up. So far they do. My kids think I am nuts for setting for hours watching for a bird to show up in my back yard. I also have a red tail hawk that likes to make his rounds I think he is after the doves I have about 21 of them here everyday.

Guess that they have come up here for the summer as we will have them until early fall.
The summer migration is now in full swing with our visitors showing up every day.
Today as well as the Indigo Bunting there has been the Baltimore Orioleand the Grossbeaks. Expect that the Scarlet Tanninger to show up soon. THe hummingbirds are now staking out their territiory and the fierce battles soon will begin.
Bill
Oro-Medote Ontario

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back