• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sorry missed of the photo (1 Viewer)

tchagra

Sorry missed of the photo Of Big Mouth!!

Silly me,too excited!!! Here is Big Mouth!!

Attachments

• image015.jpg
    image015.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 195
That's a species I would really love to see, and Nightjar for that matter. I was in Spain (Extremadura and Andalucia) mid/late April and went to a few recommended sites and listened for both species but heard nothing. A Spanish birder we met reckoned we were just too early. When do you start hearing them in Andalucia?

E

Hi Edward

In Cadiz province Nightjar is only a passage migrant but Red Necked Nightjar breeds here,and in the spring both species move through from early April with peaks in 1st half of May.

In Extremedura both apparently breed and as both areas are close together the same time scale applies.

Probably Mid may in the spring would be the earliest time to hear them but they go on calling right through the summer months,so you were prob just a bit too early.,but remember this year was exceptionally cold and wet in the months of March and April,and weather in Africa and part.Morocco was bad so a lot of species were late arriving and things all got going a bit slower this year.

Cheers for now

Ricardo (Tchagra)

Red Necked Nightjar

Hi Steve

Glad things are working out OK and look forward to the launch of the Mag.

Hasta Lleugo

Ricardo

You don't need to tell me about it being cold in April this year. When we were on the steppes of La Serena in Extremadura on 19 April it was freezing and we were in gore-tex jackets and woolly hats! Fantastic area for birds mind, but that's another story.

E

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back