• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuji S9600 Should I buy one? (1 Viewer)

andy101

Andyjjuk
Hi everyone,
I'm looking at buying a Fuji S9600. I already have a F30 but want something with a little more power. Is the S9600 as good as they say it is? or should I be looking at something else? Could anyone suggest a better camera around the same or slightly higher price bracket. I've heard in the forum that the S9600 is not much good for birding. Is this true?
Can anyone give me some good advice as I don't know much about cameras.
Should I be looking at buying this type of camera or one with seperate lenses.

Ta in advance ....A J

Opinions differ over these Fuji models - the Panasonic range is possibly a bit better if you're considering this type of camera. However, photographing birds is much easier with a DSLR and zoom lenses. The optical viewfinder makes for easier tracking and the lack of shutter lag means less missed shots. It's possible to pick up some bargains if you don't have to have the latest thing and there are lots of second hand lenses about. You can get good photos with an all in one but I'd recommend the DSLR route - remember you don't have to go mad and buy loads of lenses and accessories.

I think the 9600 is a really nice camera. BUT, it's top zoom of 300mm isn't enough for taking pictures of birds. That's the main reason why folks say it isn't good for bird pics. Like all super-zooms, it isn't nearly as responsive (focus, next shot, etc) as a DSLR, but it is about as good or better than other super-zooms, except for that 300mm top zoom. The 9600 is better thought of as a general all-purpose camera, with a nice wide angle (28mm), plus a very useful high zoom, but not a birding camera.

Thanks Guys,
Sorry I have not responded sooner as I have been away for a few days.

With the info given I will probably go for a Canon either a EOS 30D, EOS 350D or a EOS 400D.
What do you think?
On a seperate note,There seems to be some good deals around at the moment with suppliers regarding camera and accessories and so I would be uncertain which one to go for. For example a second lens or battery charger and bag etc.
It is a pity about the Fuji model as I quite like it but as you say it's no good for birds and it's main use would be bird photography.

Of course you realize, you'll have to pay some big bucks for a lens that will be suitable for bird pics. You'll need at least 400mm.

I actually have the 9600. I have to admit, it's probably better for landscapes, scenery, etc than it is for birding.

Although in saying that, there's quite a few places offering 1.7x, 2.2x, 2.5x and 3.5x teleconverter lenses. I've actually ordered a 2.5x lens, which should allow me to get close enough to the birds. Admittedly, it's a cheap one, so i don't expect superb quality results, but you can be sure i'll post here with the sort of results i do get. (they should arrive tomorrow or friday, and my first port of call will be the peregrine nest at the Falls of Clyde)

Well, my telephoto lens arrived, but was defective. Now i have to wait another two weeks for them to send me a replacement :-(

I've got a s9600 and I love it for general purpose work and my other obcession which is photo's of my Cacti & succulents as it has a good macro on it.

The downside is it's no good for Digiscoping - I borrowed someones scope & tried and the 10x is just not quite enough for what I want it for so I got a DSLR for that. If the Teleconvertors work then it could be ok for a walk about camera

Here's a couple of links to show you what it's like in the hands of a novice :D

LTTits

Rebutia

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back