• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-crowned Sparrows increasing? (1 Viewer)

kstrating

Up in the NE corner of Washington, we are experiencing an unprecedented White-crowned Sparrow migration this year. For the first time many feeders are inundated with them! In the past there have always been a few moving through, and a few staying, but never at these levels. The second odd thing is that they are all males, no females seen yet. Are White-crowned Sparrow populations increasing in other areas? Is it typical for the males to move first?

Hi K,

Out west the White-crowned is a very very common bird - in NM in winter you could find hundreds all in a small patch of scrubby field. Also the Males and Females are not separable in the field. I think you are thinking about immature birds which have the buff and brown head stripes.

Luke

White-crowned Sparrows have been departing So CA in the last couple of weeks. At least the migratory races, not the resident "Nuttall's" form. There are only a few stragglers at this point. It wouldn't surprise me if most of them have reached WA state by now. As Luke points out, males and females are identical in plumage.

Geeze guys, guess I've been away from California too long. Would help if I opened a bird book of NAm every now and then...thanks, your humbled twitcher -k

I see this is a posting from 07 but still applies. I have noticed an increase in the Walla Walla area of White Crowned....perhaps not in regular birding spots but more in just neighborhoods etc.....

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back