• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to go in Yorkshire? (1 Viewer)

Richard G

Hi folks,

Looking for suggestions for somewhere to visit this Bank Holiday Monday in Yorkshire.

Needs to keep SWMBO & 2 kids happy, where we can just walk & get some fresh air, but also where I can take the bins & spot a good number of birds.

We live near Ilkley, but have transport so we can drive to sites.

Look forward to your suggestions.

Richard

My missus likes going to Bolton Abbey to and also likes taking in the nearby walks. Fairburn can tick a few boxes and can often help about with entertaqining the little uns wihilst also showing them a thing or too about nature.

Rodley NR also has staff on hand for pond dipping and dragonfly stuff!

You can't beat Bempton.

Go for a walk along the cliff tops - they are covered in birds at the moment. If you do go don't just follow everyone else who seem to turn left at the end of the path leading to the cliffs. Walk towards Flamboro and a little further down their is a great open view of nesting Gannets. Afterwards you can have a kickabout on the beach at Filey, followed by fish and chips...can I come :hi:

Let us know how the day went.

Bubbs is also right. Reason I suggested Bolton Abbey was only that I would rather transport screaming kids for 20 minutes not 1.5 to 2 hours, but Flamborough and Bempton tick all the other boxes. And Puffins are more likely to engage kids than Wood Warblers. Have sent PM re Bolton Abbey.

Graham

Bubbs is also right. Reason I suggested Bolton Abbey was only that I would rather transport screaming kids for 20 minutes not 1.5 to 2 hours, but Flamborough and Bempton tick all the other boxes. And Puffins are more likely to engage kids than Wood Warblers. Have sent PM re Bolton Abbey.

Graham

No fish and chips or the engaging Puffins at Bolton Abbey :hi:

Graham

Fortunately my kids are OK in the car - we only get "Are we nearly there yet??" a few times (normally 5 minutes after leaving the house!!)

I've also supplied them with a secret weapon which is guaranteed to keep them quiet on long journies - the portable, twin screen DVD player.

Replied to the PM, thanks Graham.

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back