• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds around Swaledale, North Yorks' (1 Viewer)

ChrisJB

Hi Folks,

I'm off up to Swaledale (Yorkshire Dales, Reeth to be precise) at the end of this month and was wondering if anyone knows any good wildlife sites to visit. I'm mostly concerned with birds, but any good wildflower localities would be much appreciated too. Finally, is there anywhere within driving distance to see Nightjars and Turtle Doves as well, in the area.

Regards, Chris

Hi Folks,

I'm off up to Swaledale (Yorkshire Dales, Reeth to be precise) at the end of this month and was wondering if anyone knows any good wildlife sites to visit. I'm mostly concerned with birds, but any good wildflower localities would be much appreciated too. Finally, is there anywhere within driving distance to see Nightjars and Turtle Doves as well, in the area.

Regards, Chris

Hi Chris,

Ring Ouzels breed just above Reeth, at least on the north side of the valley. There is also a small Black Grouse population west along the valley, in a vale that then heads north (I saw 3 males a couple of years ago). I'll try and get directions if you like off my mates in Reeth if I can find their number ! Red Grouse is common on the barer tops.

Stop press ! I've just rung me mate, and a local birder called Martin happened to be round there for tea ! Martin has said you can ring him (PM me for number) or email him on swaledalebirds 'at' swaledale.org to find out all about Swaledale birds. Isn't Birdforum cool ?

Check out Buttertubs Pass south of Thwaite for upland passerines. The Swale itself and all the rivers in the area have Dipper, Grey Wagtail and Common Sandpiper in suitable stretches. Turtle Dove is fairly unlikely in the area, I would have thought, but conifer plantations with clear-felled areas could attract Nightjars. I'm afraid the only definite Nightjar spots I know are in the North York Moors and southern dales areas. Black Grouse are resident in Arkengarthdale hear Reeth but be wary of disturbing them and the local farmers who manage the land for them who may not be over-friendly to birders "from the big city". Moorland walks should produce Redshank, Snipe, Curlew, Lapwing, perhaps Golden Plover and Dunlin, also Merlin and possibly Short-Eared Owl and Raven.

There are few reserves that I am aware of in the area. I have been to Semer Water and Bolton on Swale GPs, both YWT sites (http://www.yorkshire-wildlife-trust.org.uk/reserves.htm). Unfortunately the YWT don't give site details on the wen but I have the set of cards and could scan and send if you are interested.

Graham

Tan Hill can hold Raven so keep an eye and an ear out. When I was ther eearlier in the year there were many signs for breeding waders including dunlin which would be a very pleasant sighting I am sure.

Many thanks folks. I have plenty to go at there. I thought I'd mention Turtle Doves on the off chance. I once heard they had been seen in the past, near someplace or other called The Stang??
If anyone is interested, I saw 14 Dotterel on Ingleborough yesterday.

Chris

Hello Larry,

I've seen your posting on this website about birds in Swaledale and the Dales in general.
I am attempting a bird race stag do this weekend, aiming to see as many species as possible in Yorkshire.
I really need some help please with regard to upland species. I really want to be able to get to a black grouse site for first light and then stay in the general area to pick up (if we can) Hen Harrier, Merlin, Ring Ouzel, Raven, Buzzard, Red Kite, Dipper, Common Sandpiper, Grey Wagtail, Golden Plover, etc, etc.
What would be great is if we can possibly have a chat on the phone either today or tomorrow please since I have only limited internet access and will not be able to use the internet after 5pm this evening.
Unofrtunately, I have just tried to send you private message with my phone number but the message has bounced back to me, something to do with your inbox being full, it reckons.
If we can have a chat it would be a massive, massive help please! I can call you straight back to save your phone bill.

Many thanks Larry

Regards

Andrew Tongue

Hello Larry,

I've seen your posting on this website about birds in Swaledale and the Dales in general.
I am attempting a bird race stag do this weekend, aiming to see as many species as possible in Yorkshire.
I really need some help please with regard to upland species. I really want to be able to get to a black grouse site for first light and then stay in the general area to pick up (if we can) Hen Harrier, Merlin, Ring Ouzel, Raven, Buzzard, Red Kite, Dipper, Common Sandpiper, Grey Wagtail, Golden Plover, etc, etc.
What would be great is if we can possibly have a chat on the phone either today or tomorrow please since I have only limited internet access and will not be able to use the internet after 5pm this evening.
Unofrtunately, I have just tried to send you private message with my phone number but the message has bounced back to me, something to do with your inbox being full, it reckons.
If we can have a chat it would be a massive, massive help please! I can call you straight back to save your phone bill.

Many thanks Larry

Regards

Andrew Tongue

I've PM'd you Andrew and cleared my inbox. Hopefully my message got through !

Larry

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back