• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange Behaviour (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
This morning I watched a greenfinch feed from my caged feeder - the sort that has a tube in the middle of a cage to prevent squirrels from stealing the sunflower seeds. The greenfinch went into the cage and then lay down on its base and proceeded eat from the bottom hole. It was in there for a good 5 mins or so and saw off a male bullfinch and another greenfinch which came to feed from higher ports. I was upstairs watching and the camera was downstairs of course, so I am kicking myself for not capturing this, It really looked very strange indeed.

Hi Kits,

Might sound totally daft (and be so) but could it have been sat in a way that the wings were splayed so the sun gets to the gland at the base of the tail, the type of prostrate position that is talked of when they are so called 'sunbathing'?

If not it does sound as though it might possibly be ill, but if so why would it be eating? Unless it was just pecking about in a "I'm not really hungry" way. Keep the camera close just in case it comes back Kits. I hope all's well with it though.

Best wishes,

Sue.

Hi Kits
I get Greenfinch at my feeders daily and they do get up to some strange antics. I had one late last year lay down to get at the last few nuts in a feeder that had been blown onto the lawn by the wind. If it's bullish enough to fight off other birds it sounds as though it found an easy way to get food or as Sue says doing a bit of sunbathing.

All the best
Ray

Hi Kits,

No other opinions to offer but just to say that birds do behave a bit strangely sometimes on feeders. I was watching a House Sparrrow the other day on an 8-port feeder filled with the same seed mixture all the way and yet it hopped from port to port, up and down, and even saw off another Spadger to get to yet another port. I've seen a number of birds switch ports but not do the 'grand tour'. Why?

Bill.

No Ruth, it wasn't ill - that was my first concern, but it was fiesty enough to see off 2 other birds.

Sue - there was no sun and it wasn't spread out like sunbathing birds. I will certainly get a pic if it does it again.

I have come to the conclusion it was just feeling a little lazy.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back