• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Razor (1 Viewer)

djaburg

I currently own 2 pairs of Nikon Monarchs, 8x42 and 10x42, and they're good binoculars. I recently purchased, more as a trial than anything, 10x42 Cabelas Euro (which as has previously been discussed is the Meopta Meostar 10x42 repackaged) and I like them. But I do like the ergonomics of the Razor's and it seems as though they may be a touch better than the Cabelas.

The reason I'm considering migrating from the Monarch's to the higher end glass is because of a recent error on my part. Owning my own computer business affords certain perks and one such perk was working on the IT assets of a large (230') yacht. In working with them over the span of two weeks I was able to use their Swarovski EL 8.5x42 bino's they had on the bridge (4 pairs). Needless to say my eyes were treated to a view that I've not had with hand held optics before. Really nice. Going back to the Monarch's was a bit hard, although in reality it did show me what a nice product they really are, especially the 8x42 set. Of course they're not as nice as the Swaro's but I don't really fancy spending $1800. Which kind of leads me to my point/question. I've not had the chance to look through the Vortex bino's, but I have the meopta's. I like the image, but really like the handling of the swaro/razor style especially for my usage. Would I be getting a comparable image quality with the Razors?

Any feedback or suggestions would be welcome.

Difficult area, the land between Monarchs and the top end. I ended up with Zeiss Conquest. I like them otherwise except they eye cups.

Djaburg -

I have not tried the Vortex Razors, however a number of people on this forum and another that I frequent devoted more specifically to hunting have spoken quite favorably on them.

Another you might want to try out are the Bushnell Elites (around $900 new). Similar style as well. I have tried those...pretty good optically but the ergonomics just weren't right for me...a tad to small as I recall.

ND2000

I suppose that you've heard of that company BURRIS, that mainly makes rifle scopes. They have a new binocular that has the EL look too. I bought one online two Fridays ago for $691. I haven't had a chance to look through it yet, and I'm hoping that they'll be good. But considering the that the two most expensive binoculars I have now costed only $360 and $240, I guess that I'll like the Euro Diamond that should be here in a couple of days.

I have seen some of the Burris optics and they seem to be reasonable, I'd be curious how your experience is. I'm almost sorry I looked through the high end glass because now I know what's out there and what it looks like.

I suppose that you've heard of that company BURRIS, that mainly makes rifle scopes. They have a new binocular that has the EL look too. I bought one online two Fridays ago for $691. I haven't had a chance to look through it yet, and I'm hoping that they'll be good.

Sure looks to me like the Burris Euro Diamond is made by the same folks as the Vortex Razor, although with slightly different specs and almost identical prices. The Vortex Razor is a superlative binocular, and hopefully the Burris version will be a worthy sibling (maybe even better). I, too, look forward to hearing your impressions.

Oh well, I did get them about a week ago. I have to admit that they are not really special enough that I would want to 'bother' everyone talking about. They have sharp and bright optics, but I don't suppose that they are good enough to compare them to one of the 'top boys'.
Does Vortex advertise those Razors as being light? If they do, then that's one way the Razors are better than my Euro Diamonds. Because they are pretty heavy.

The Razor's are about the same, Burris being 30oz and the Razor being 29.8oz. That being said, it seems as if a great deal of the 42mm and greater objective lens bino's are pretty heavy. My Nikon's aren't terribly heavy, but I'm looking to upgrade the glass and ergonomics, so I guess there's a trade-off there.

Oh well. I was just sitting in bright sunshine on the terrace with my new Euro and a Bushnell Legend. The Euro was certainly brighter. Bright enough for me to see a Hairy Woodpecker climbing through the leaves in a tree about 1/2 a block away.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back