• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which stay on case? (1 Viewer)

Doug

I am buying a stay on case for a Swarovski ATS80HD

I have the choice of a Swarovski or a Skus stay on case

does anyone have any comments as to which is most user friendly/ best quality?

Thanks for your thoughts

Doug

I have the LCE case and while it is good for the Swaro I will advise you to try and steer from Velcro fixing cases. The Velcro loses it's 'stick' after a while and becomes next to useless.

Hi Doug - I recently bought an ATS65 and a Skua case. I haven't had any trouble such as discussed in the thread CJW refers to. Maybe its a new design ???

Only one slight problem - the Skua badge is right underneath the scope aiming aid, so it pushes that out of alignment ...... until you cut the badge off. Having said that I've never used the aiming aid anyway but it does show a definite lack of forethought in the design I suppose.

One major reason I went for Skua is that it doesn't have that Swaro badge on the side so doesn't advertise the fact its pretty valuable

Hi Doug!

I can recommend the new Swarovski stay on case for the ATS80. Although it is high priced I think this case is of excellent quality and it is also easy to use the scope when birding.

Hi Lab,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome to Bird Forum :t:

Thanks for replying to this thread. I am after a new Swaro scope too and was wondering which was best. I was a little worried as I've heard read that some cases are easier than others to use with the Swaro - you have cleared that concern up about opting for the more expensive one.

Have you noticed that in the forum "Used Equipment for Sale" there is an advertisement for a skua case for the Swarovski ATS 80mm??? It is only £30 and in very good condition.

Oh, and I happen to be the person selling it............. :)

Send me a private message if you are interested.

My son has the Skua on his Swaro 65 and it's okay (for example it fits very well indeed and retains the compact quality of the scope) but really, it's not well designed. The part of the case that covers the focusing ring has to be almost completely removed to allow focusing; there is no facility to loosen the body for turning it without removing the case; the eyepiece cover is removable only by undoing both press-studs rather than just one and there is no waterproof hood to pull over the eyepiece when it is raining.

I wouldn't have known how irritating this case was if my Nikon scope's case didn't excel in all the areas the Swaro/Skua falls down. It's a good job it was thrown in for free is all I can say!

Last edited:
Doug,I have the Skua case for my Swarvoski,it was part of the scope package,but it is a dreadful piece of kit,if you can afford it buy the swarvoski case,it is miles superior to the skua.

John

I assume this is for new Swarovski?
I have old ATS80HD bought second hand with Swaro case included. Recently bought new Skua case as it is better padded & gives more protection.

I have the skua case for my ats80hd. The fit is terrible, and access to the controls is a pain. However, there does appear to be a lot more padding than the swaro SOC, which along with keeping the scope clean is the most important bit for me.

Fiacha

Last edited:
I also got the Skua case with my Swaro scope when I bought it. The biggest problem that I've had is that all the padding around the eyepiece area makes it extremely difficult to get the digiscope adaptor flush. It takes a certain amount of pushing and pulling each time.

I've now ordered the Swarovski case ( can't find anyone who has one in stock for the STS80HD ). It is slightly less paddded but at the moment I'm not using a case at all.

I know I'm a bit thick as well but it took me quite a while to work out how the Skua case actually fitted on the scope. The eyepiece end was extremely difficult to fit. Apparantly they're all slightly different so some fit on easier than others.

Anyway I might have a Skua case for sale soon as well.

lab said:
Hi Doug!

I can recommend the new Swarovski stay on case for the ATS80. Although it is high priced I think this case is of excellent quality and it is also easy to use the scope when birding.

Hi Lab, and welcome to the Forum. We find the Swaro case excellent too (we had it half price on a special offer) - it's a beautiful fit - various comparisons come to mind, but I'd better not put them here!!!

I went for the Swav case too, partly because I was fed up with Skua cases that don't fit the scope properly, eg, the one for my old Swav scope. Indeed the Swav case for the new scope fits so snugly that you can't put the objective lens cap on with the case zipped up, which is possibly not ideal. The material rubs very slightly against the focusing wheel on mine too. But still a fine case, tho not padded. Can't have everything I suppose.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back