• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kate's Mainiac Art Obsession (1 Viewer)

sunriseworkshop

Hello! I noticed a few others have been sharing their wonderful artwork and thought I would share some of mine. I am a Maine artist and many of my compositions are based on the lovely birds and animals that live here. I take aweful photos so have been spending a lot of time refining my drawings. LOL Would love for others to share their work with me or offer critiques. I love bird art in all it's forms! Looking forward to chatting! Kate

Attachments

• ACEO male cardinal on blue.png
    ACEO male cardinal on blue.png
    148.1 KB · Views: 139
  • chickadee aceo black ink.jpg
    chickadee aceo black ink.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 116
  • ACEO great blue, edge of the marsh.png
    ACEO great blue, edge of the marsh.png
    176 KB · Views: 129
Hi Kate good to see you showing some of your work here. I like them all as each is so different from the other. Love the bright vivacity of your cardinal. I am the opposite of you. I can take a half decent photo but am rubbish at painting birds. Great spirit, keep up the excellent work.

I am trying to learn how to use a digital camera I got for Christmas, but it isn't going well so far. I wasn't great with a regular camera before, but my digitals are terrible. lol I have tons of things here I'd love to get shots of so I could work from them durring the winter when it's all white out. The birds are so busy this time of year! So many times I've seen them do something that I'd love to paint, but just happened too quickly to get the composition just right. If I could only click and save it for the future... lol

I had a pair of cardinals here for quite a while and the male was very calm. Gave me several oportunities to capture him well. The female was rather spastic though. Always moving! I think a hawk got her and haven't seen the male for a little while either. :( I miss them. They are so colorful!

Attachments

• ACEO red breasted nuthatch.png
    ACEO red breasted nuthatch.png
    147.3 KB · Views: 118
Lovely work and welcome to the forum...

Particularily like the chickadee, 'tis really well rendered. Like your use of colour on the others, the heron is particularily nice, thanks for posting and look forward to seeing more....

Whilst digital has certainly made photography easier bird photography is probably one of the hardest of the disciplines and is certainly not learnt over night. You also need to get pretty close in order to get photos good enough to use in painting. It is very rewarding though and if you are really keen then I do advise reading, learning and perseverence.
I guess it is the same with painting too. I have painted for over 30 years but have little patience for doing bird paintings myself as it does not suit my style. What i have learnt over the years though has put me in good stead for my photography.
So sad about your cardinals, such beautiful birds and a great subject to paint. Love the pose on your last bird though dont know what it is?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, I like your work as it shows the pleasure you derive from seeing the birds, there is something more than a faithful representation of the birds. Bright, colourful and cheery. Looking forward to seeing more.

The sweet little bird with his beak pointing toward the sky is a red breasted nuthatch, about the size of chickadee, maybe a tad bigger. The red breasted nuthatches seem just a little smaller than the white breasted ones. They have some pretty interesting acrobatic moves while they are bug hunting on the tree trunks. They will climb down a tree, picking ants and whatnot out of the bark. I had a pair raise their young in my yard last year. I guess they got used to me because I could get pretty close to them before they'd hop up the tree or fly off.

The chickadees in my yard have no fear and will get very close. Sometimes, it almost seems like they Want to pose for me. LOL They have so much personality!

Thank you all for the nice comments! Nice to find others who love birds as much as I do!

Attachments

• ACEO male scarlet tanager.png
    ACEO male scarlet tanager.png
    152 KB · Views: 115
Love it! This is great work! Really like the heron (one of my favorite birds and because my last name is O'Hern and it has all the same letters as heron!) Great work! Looking forward to more!

I've been very busy and haven't had a chance to get on the forum for a while, but wanted to pop in and show you my latest drawing. Part of what has kept me so busy is a camera that my husband surprised me with after I was bragging to him how great psilo's photos were. lol I've spent a lot of time in the outdoors trying to capture some good bird photos. I'm getting there, but my shots are more oportunistic than anything. I'm not quite quick enough to get all the shots I've wanted to, but I've got some cute pictures of the swallow chicks from my birdhouse.

The other thing that has kept me so busy is my new website, sunriseworkshop.com

I hope to have more time to pop in on a regular basis soon! Kate
ACEOfemaleoriole.jpg

Didn't see a whole lot for bird life that would stay for more than 2 seconds, but this section of the brook looked interesting. I really liked the way the water rippled around the rocks and sparkled as it spilled over them. So, it became the composition of this 5" x 7" watercolor sketch.

bubblingbrookwatercolor.png

Although this isn't a bird, it is one of my favorite ink drawings. Took days getting all the little details just right, but I felt it was worth it for the end result. :)

bunnybythewall.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back