• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Angled vs Straight Body (1 Viewer)

fortraniv

Hello everyone!
I am a newbie to the scope world and going to buy my first one for birding and looking at the Nikon ED 82mm.

I was thinking that the angled body would be best for birding, but am having trouble finding the Nikon in the angled body at the sites I normally shop. I also just read the thread on this forum on whether these are being discontinued. I can get a good deal on the straight body with the eye piece I want....my concern is that I may regret not having the angled.... will this be a pain in the neck ;)

I would appreciate any thoughts on angled body versus straight body.

Thanks!

PS. I'm so glad to find this forum and lots of catching up to do going through the threads.

i prefer straight body actually.
for me it's helpful to have a direct sight line with target plus i don't think you would pick up as much glare with straight.
that's just me though.

Some thoughts that might help.
Straight scope is better for getting on the bird quickly and is easier for using in a hide or car window mount.
Angled is better for sharing with people of different heights, you can use it with the tripod lower so it's more stable and it is better for looking up into trees you don't have to kneel down to look through it, some say angled is better for digiscoping but I don't really see why.
I use an angled scope for the ease of sharing.

Mick

This is an age old debate but it really comes down to personal preference and consideration for the type of birding one will be doing by scope most often. Like everything there are pros and cons to either set up. I also have a straight, but my reasons are for my bad back. The thought of being stooped over an angled eye piece for extended periods was a real turn off for me. A straight scope doesn't work as well when looking upward into trees. On the other hand, many angled scopes can be rotated so the line of sight is (mostly) straight. My suggestion would be to try a few out among a birding group.

Thanks for everyones input. I just ordered the Nikon 82 ED with the straight body and can't wait to get it. I decided to go with the 20-60x zoom to start and the Bogen 055V/ 701RC2 tripod. Should be a nice setup.

I was going to get a fixed length eye piece but couldn't decide which one as I ultimately will get into digiscoping... this will take me awhile to decide on what to get as my SLR is a Canon, and looks like I need to get up to speed on the Coolpixs

Thanks again for all of you help

tricia

Looks like there have been four "Angled vs. straight" -discussions, but only two "Straight vs. angled" -discussions (just scroll down the page). I wonder if this represents the popularity ratio between the different designs.

Ilkka :hi:

BTW, By far the best Nikon eyepiece for digiscoping - and almost anything else - is the 30xDS. :t:

Good luck with that setup, Tricia. I just received my 82A with the same tripod and head. I have no complaints about the tripod or head so far. I ordered the straight body because of the ease of acquiring a subject, but the e-tailer sent me the angled model. Because I $aved hundreds (and the angled is more expensive anyway), I didn't complain. Please post your experience after you've had a chance to use it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back