• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bulgaria June 2007 (1 Viewer)

Hi,
I'm going to Bulgaria on Friday for two weeks birding - 1 week around Burgas and 1 week in the Rhodope's. I've got details for some sites (Trigrad Gorge, Burgas lakes etc.), but would like some more info. What's access like at Ropotamo these days? Does anyone know of any sites for woodpeckers, eagle owls etc.? And does anyone have any good sites that aren't mentioned in the guide books?
Thanks,

Ollie

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner wolfbirder, been busy with graduation, moving house etc. I'll put a full trip report on Surfbirds once I get round to it, but for now here's a few highlights:
148 species, including:

Wallcreeper at Trigrad Gorge - incredible views of a nesting pair, with the birds often flying inches above my head when leaving the nest!

Black Vulture - 1 at Studen Kladenetz, as well as several Griffons, Black Kite, Sardinian Warbler.

Black-winged Pratincole - surprisingly found one amongst a flock of Collareds at Lake Mandra.

Pallid Harrier - adult female in fields near Lake Mandra, another bird I didn't expect to see.

Cape Emine produced Olive-tree Warbler, Black-eared Wheatear, Middle-spotted Woodpecker and Hawfinch, but no Shearwaters off the lighthouse. I couldn't get any further than the military base, it looked like the path to the lighthouse had been blocked off.

Burgas area produced Little Bittern, herons, White Stork, Roller, Red-footed Falcon, Lesser Spotted and Eastern Imperial Eagles, Great Reed, Paddyfield, Marsh and Savi's Warblers, Great White Pelican and waders including a few Marsh Sands.

Ropotamo produced Semi-collared Flycatcher and cracking views of Syrian Woodpecker.

Day trip to Strandja Mountains was a bit disappointing bird-wise, but a Wolf running across the road in broad daylight more than made up for it!

A week in the Rhodopes produced White-backed Woodpecker, Nutcracker, Black Storks, Bonelli's Warbler, Crag Martin, Alpine and Pallid Swifts, Rock Bunting and Montagu's Harrier. Loads of butterflies too.

The only downside was missing Levant Sparrowhawk, Squacco Heron, Western Rock Nuthatch, and Black and Grey-headed Woodpeckers.

Sounds fantastic Ollie. Really look forward to reading you report. Would be worth copying and pasting it to Vacational trip reports on this forum too.

Where did you find Olive Tree Warbler at Cape Emine? Did you have to go down to the wooded gulley to the right of the military base? Or were they in the scattered bushes before the military base?

Just to advise, on Birdguides "Where to watch birds in Bulgaria" (updates)section, this has been updated using a recent trip report.

on a family holiday at sunny beach bulgaria september 06 i had a full day out birding with a local guide called dimiter georgiev he picked me up at my hotel at 8.00am in his car and dropped me back off at 7.00pm all for £50.he took me to all the top sites in the region clocking up 105 species well recomended.he can be e mailed at [email protected]

looks good. Downloaded 8.1 but just wont download the trip report frustratingly. Could you cut and paste it to vacational trip reports on here Steve? Would love to read the report.

looks good. Downloaded 8.1 but just wont download the trip report frustratingly. Could you cut and paste it to vacational trip reports on here Steve? Would love to read the report.

I could do that but it's rather long, would that be a problem? I'm also a little surprised you weren't able to download it. Blinkin computers.

Got it now Steve - had to sign off then resign on for Adobe 8.1 to work. Thanks excellent report. Love Bulgaria for birding, need to go back again!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back