• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A question about the taxonomy of two hill partridges (1 Viewer)

metroplex

Wei Qian
Hi guys,

There is a confusion for me about the two partridges, which are Chestnut-necklaced Partridge(Arborophila charltonii) and Green-legged Partridge(Scaly-breasted Partridge Arborophila chloropus), the former one has four races as listed in Howard&Moore's checklist, which were named as charltonii, atjenensis, tonkinensis and graydoni. Another has six races, called chloropus, cognacqi, merlini, vivida, peninsularis and olivacea.

In "A Field Guide to the Birds of China", MacKinnon listed Scaly-breasted Partridge's scientific name as Arborophila charltonii, and I was told the race tonkinensis formly treated as the one under Green-legged Partridge(Scaly-breasted Partridge Arborophila chloropus).

Question 1: In MacKinnon's opinion, which race is the resident in South China? The mainstream in China explains that the Scaly-breasted Partridge must be Arborophila chloropus chloropus.

Question 2: Did any article or paper show the evidences for the status of race tonkinensis?

Question 3: And is there any other divarications between these two species?

Thanks for any help :)

Hi Wei Qian,
I will field this one but I will not respond point for point.

Firstly, the MacKinnon and Phillipps taxonomy. I do have the volume and can find nowhere where the Authors state that they maintain a strict adherence to any one taxonomical interpretation of the birds, and their races, within China. It would appear to me that they have used a syncretic approach amalgamating A Synopsis of the Avifauna of China by Cheng; the Howard & Moore 2° Ed. (1991); and the 1990 Sibley & Monroe. I have personally never preferred this type of hodge-podge approach to taxonomy though many Authors of Guide Books seem to like it. It should be noted that all three above cited sources are dated, but there does not seem to have been considered any further modification of the taxonomy in this book though it was published in 2000!

For them, ranging in S Yunnan (Xishuangbanna) locally is only Scaly-breasted Partridge (Arborophila charltonii).

For the HBW the only race of the two birds you are inquiring about that ranges in China (N.B. exactly in S Yunnan) is the nominate race chloropus of Green-legged Hill Partridge (Arborophila chloropus).

I have compared the Plate illustrations of both the MacKinnon A. charltonii and the HBW race chloropus of A. chloropus and they are identical - i.e. we are speaking of the same bird.

So, I would say forget the MacKinnon interpretation - you have in China the HBW chloropus.

I have looked at the plates of race tonkinensis and can not see why anyone would have ever grouped it with A. chloropus - it just does not look like chloropus, but it does look like charltonii and that is where the Howard & Moore, and the HBW, associates it. I think that the rationale behind once associating it with chloropus was based on range considerations. In other words, races (of chloropus) cognaqui, merlini (lumped by HM), and vivida all range in Vietnam, while the other races of charltonii are in Malay Penin.; Sumatra; and Borneo. However, on gross morphology it would seem to be a disjunct race (speaking of tonkinensis) rightly associated with charltonii, but ranging in Vietnam.

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for your detailed, patient explation, and now it floated and is very clear to me. So as your opinion, the taxonomy of MacKinnon's book has less value to study. I also think it is reasonable. Thanks again :)

Cheers,
Wei Qian

Hi Wei,

Steve has given a very good explanation, just thought I would add a little extra. tonkinensis in my opinion would be best regarded as a separate species, Tonkin Hill-Partridge, due to the strong morphological differences between that and the rest of the chlorophus group and the distance between that and the charltonii population, tonkinensis is also noticeably distinct from charltonii, especially the face and breast pattern. A paper is currently in prep on proposing this split (not sure when and where it will be published but it will be soon), looking forward to reading it.

Thanks James,

That's a valuable message. But in Clements' checklist, the Chestnut-necklaced Partridge(Arborophila charltonii) and Scaly-breasted Partridge (Arborophila chloropus) both occur in China. So I guess the races of them live in China are A.charltonii.tonkinensis (South Guangxi) and A.chloropus.chloropus (South Yunnan). How about your opinion? Are they indeed both occur in China?

ps. How is your summer trip? I'm too impatient to wait to share your fantastic birds :)

Cheers

Thanks James,

That's a valuable message. But in Clements' checklist, the Chestnut-necklaced Partridge(Arborophila charltonii) and Scaly-breasted Partridge (Arborophila chloropus) both occur in China. So I guess the races of them live in China are A.charltonii.tonkinensis (South Guangxi) and A.chloropus.chloropus (South Yunnan). How about your opinion? Are they indeed both occur in China?

ps. How is your summer trip? I'm too impatient to wait to share your fantastic birds :)

Cheers

Wei Qian,
James may have a better sense on the true range of tonkinensis in N Annam. Personally, I have sometimes found that the range information found in worldlist taxonomic books to be either incomplete or in error. My other sources just say N Vietnam as the tonkinensis range, however from what I can glean from the range maps - it looks like we are right on the border with China. So who knows - it might be interesting to discover therefore if there are really verified records of race tonkinensis from Guangxi?

Maybe tonkinensis at least used to occur in Guangxi, however, given the plight of lowland rainforest in this region I would have serious reservations about whether this species would still be present even if it was historically recorded from the province.

In Tonkin/North Annam, Cuc Phoung National Park is one of the few areas that still supports a population of tonkinensis. Perhaps worth scanning Google Earth to see what is left in the area. Unfortunately I am not sure on the extent of lowland forest left in Tonkin. If this taxon was to be elevated to species status then would it be considered endangered?

Wei Qian, my Sichuan trip was fantastic, I will send you my report next week.Though both Blackthroat and Rusty-throated Parrotbill have been since in Sichuan since my visit so I'm a little frustrated!

Hi James,

Your perspective is very interesting. It is worth to dicuss it more detailedly. Robins and PBs are all vivid birds and I really prefer them to other birds. Looking forward to your fatastic report. :)

Cheers
Wei Qian

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back