• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

setting up a website (1 Viewer)

herring99

Hi all,

how do i go about setting up a website where i can post trip reports and digiscope pictures? I have no experience of doing this type of thing and don't know where to start. Any info about what i need to do or where i need to go to start this would be appreciated.

All the best

HerringB :)

Who is your ISP? They should provide you with web space, usually up to about 20mb free of charge or included in which ever package you have.

The first thing you need to do is create your web site on your own computer. For this you will need to aquire software such as Microsoft Frontpage. Learn how to use the software, design and create your site, make sure it works on your computer.

When you are happy with it, you need to copy it onto your ISP web space. For this you need to use an FTP tool. I use Ipswitch, which can be downloaded free from the web, or your ISP may provide their own FTP tool.

Before you do too much work, I would see if your ISP has any info on creating web sites,

Colin

Hi Herring,
I use Microsoft Frontpage as well. With it being in the microsoft family, it has a familiar interface so is quite easy to use. We set up a website in January this year using it and I had only basic computer knowledge prior to it. My ISP was excellent - they talked me through the uploading of the site but it soon becomes second nature. You do need to talk to your ISP re what it supports - we imported a counter from elsewhere as the Frontpage counter wouldn't work.
Like Colin, we use Ipswich to upload, it was recommended by our ISP as it is free and easy to use.
Finally, Good Luck - it's hard work initially, making sure everything works as it should but nothing bits the thrill of having something you created on the web and getting visitors to it.

I don't know if it helps but I've got a simple guide to how I created my first web site on the front page of my site. (Though I have since moved on to having someone else do it for me.)
My URL is below.
good luck--it's actually quite fun when you get into it.
Ken

Surreybirder,

tried to view the rtf file but my version of word would not support the web addresses in the text "error bookmark not defined" was the text quote. Any suggestions?

Herring

Hi Kiki,

thanks for the advice and interest. Like all the best laid plans of mice and men, things are taking a little longer than expected. In no particular order since returning from the honeymoon, the car, the house and the PC have all had their little problems to be dealt with :C Still things are progressing. My ISP will host the website and has the programs to do it with for free, so it's now a case of knuckling down and building it. Hopefully in the next month we should see something being rolled out. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks

Herring

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back