• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Learn common bird song and calls (1 Viewer)

ColinD

United Kingdom
I've been birding now for around 35 years, since I was 10. My birding career so far could probably be divided into three phases. The first was from the age of 10 to about 20 (1972 - 82). I spent all of my time birding alone or with my Dad. It was only a semi-serious hobby for me. There was no Rare Bird Alert, no Bird Forum, and I wasn't part of the grapevine which existed at the time. I didn't know any other birders. My life list was probably about 150 by 1982, and if we wanted to see anything different, we based our descision on where to go on distribution maps in bird identification books.

Then in 1982, I entered the second phase. I bought "Bill Oddies Little Black Bird book" and was amazed at what was going on. A few months later I joined the local Birding group, made lots of friends my age, and began twitching. The second phase lasted until about 1988, and my UK life list increased to about 330, I visited a lot more places in the UK, and went on my first birding holidays abroad.

In 1989 I got married (to a non birder) and I could no longer twitch, and so entered the third phase. I started looking for local sites so that I could spend more time birding than travelling, and because they allowed a quick visit if I was passing by. I got into recording and surveying, and helped form a local group. During this phase, by neccessity I had to learn bird song. Previously, this had been a really dark area for me. I couldn't tell a Robin from a Blackbird. Now, because I was trying to count breeding pairs of common species, I was listening out for singing males. It's amazing how quick you can learn bird calls and song, and it is immensly useful to you once you have the common species mastered. Anything unusual stands out a mile, and if you know the song, you don't have to wait ages for a skulking species to show itself. For example, despite travelling all over the country during my twitching phase, I only saw a handful of Lesser Whitethroats. These days I have no problem seeing them. Even close to home where they are scarce breeders, I expect to see four or five a year. This is because the song stands out to me as different.

I have more than one local patch, and there is a large area of farmland that I cover every week on my bike, about a 15 miles round journey. As I travel, I stop and make notes along the way of most of the birds that I see or hear, and I try to count singing males. I've done this every week, rain, hail or shine, for about five years. Once or twice I have set out from home and gotten 3 or 4 miles down the road before I have realised that I have forgotten my binoculars. I have found that this has virtually no impact on the birding experience for me, because almost all of my notes are of birds that I hear. If I stopped to look at every movement in a bush, I'd never get home, but because I know the song or call, I can identify the bird in seconds, and the binoculars are only useful if I hear something different.

I often wonder what birds I missed in the early phases of my birding career, because I didn't know calls and song. My advice to beginners would be, yes twitch for rarities if you like, but get yourself a local patch, commit yourself to visiting it at least once a week, record everything and learn common bird calls and song.

My advice to beginners would be, yes twitch for rarities if you like, but get yourself a local patch, commit yourself to visiting it at least once a week, record everything and learn common bird calls and song.

Very sound (excuse the pun) advice. I have only today purchased a CD of bird songs and calls at a local birdwatching fair and I'm hoping to polish up my identification skills! Very interesting post and, by the way, I greatly approve of your choice of avatar! :t:

YNWA

Mike

Coigach

I agree with you completely (& almost share your birding history myself).

One of my latest local patches, a smallish reservoir, i can zip round in an hour or so (if i need to be quick) but still rack up 50+ species, purely because i dont have to stop & check out the souce of every song or call i hear and instantly recognise anything unusual (especially this time of year when all the breeders are all on their territories). It's often a case of noticing more if a certain bird is not present, eg lately one of my regular Willow Warblers seems to have gone missing - i've only really noticed this because i've not heard it singing/calling for a few days.

I learnt the songs and calls of most British & European birds back in the late eighties when i bought a set of 3 cassettes (remember them?!). This helped my birding no end and still use these tapes today (although i now also have several cd's, mp3s etc).

Learning songs & calls also helps on those occasions that you are not actually birding, but are in a place full of birds - i walk through a little wood on the way to work - i never have my bins with me, but i know every bird i hear. It can also liven up a boring meeting when the windows are open - i was interviewing recently and had to stop myself getting distracted by calling Great-spotted Woodpeckers, Grey wagtails & Tree Sparrows outside - all identified by their calls whilst i was asking questions & taking notes!

So yes - if you're a beginner, or you dont yet recognise bird songs & calls - get some cd's & get learning, it's well worth the effort & time.

atb

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks for the good advice. I - like most people I imagine - know some calls and songs but on the whole can't distinguish between many. Can anyone recommend a good CD to get to start learning?

Thanks for the good advice. I - like most people I imagine - know some calls and songs but on the whole can't distinguish between many. Can anyone recommend a good CD to get to start learning?

Geoff Sample's Collins book is very good and the CDs are listenable and atmospheric. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Field-Guide-Northern-accompanying/dp/0002200376 The fact that the songs are not completely isolated (there are other species in backgorund) may be a little confusing to the complete beginner, but this of course reflects how you will actually hear the birds, and is outweighed by the quality of recording and commentary.

There are also free resources both on this site and on the RSPB site - these are good but require more active attention and are most useful for identifying a mystery sound rather than learning - the beauty of the CD is that you can just leave it playing in the car.

Graham

Thanks for the recommendation, I like the sound of the Geoff Sample's Collins book as it has the background sounds, it might make it harder to start with but will be worth the effort in the long run.

Geoff Sample's Collins book is very good and the CDs are listenable and atmospheric. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Field-Guide-Northern-accompanying/dp/0002200376 The fact that the songs are not completely isolated (there are other species in backgorund) may be a little confusing to the complete beginner, but this of course reflects how you will actually hear the birds, and is outweighed by the quality of recording and commentary.

There are also free resources both on this site and on the RSPB site - these are good but require more active attention and are most useful for identifying a mystery sound rather than learning - the beauty of the CD is that you can just leave it playing in the car.

Graham

picked this up some time ago and it has definetly been a good investment. my earbirding is still rather shoddy, but this helps.

I'm ashamed to say that after more than thirty five years of "birding"; it's only in the last six or seven years that I've come to fully appreciate the value of knowing birds by song or call.

I suppose that prior to that it was a combination of being a little daunted by it and also a little laziness that held me back.

I'm very far from being "an expert" even now but I do now find that at least half of all species that I "spot" are intitially located and often identified in advance of actually sighting them by their call or song.

It really isn't so difficult once you take the bull by the horns and begin to make a conscious effort to really listen to what you see and to remember it.

I find that books are of very limited value in identifying or recognising bird calls and song. "A little bit of bread and no cheese" possibly being a rare exception.

CD's are excellent as has already been said as are DVD's. CD's can be listened to in the car but I think there's even more value in seeing and hearing at the same time as on DVD's. A personal favourite of mine is still Dave Gosney's five disc box set; no fuss, no nonsense, just birds.

The one simply unbeatable method of learning bird call and song for my money though is; to spend time in the field with a few real experts. I was at a local reserve a few weeks ago and the chap that I was with simply pointed skywards and said; Purple Sandpiper.....a bird that on that occasion I would not have spotted in a million years had it not been for his fine tuned and sharp ears.

That kind of fine tuning still evades me I'm afraid but one day....one day.....

It's something else to work on.

Graham

Coigach: Loved hearing your story, and you show that anything can be achieved if you set your mind to it. Learning bird song is a feat in itself. :t:

This is an interesting thread, and yes it is a question of knowledge counts when it comes to understanding birds. Patience and time too. Taking time out, and simply listening to garden birds songs everyday is a good habit to form in itself. Otherwise you just forget which bird is associated with their own unique way of singing at the end of the day

I still get mixed up with Wrens and Robins (distress call) as they sound so similar to me. Oddities here and there, but knowledge is power as they say.
:-C

Of course there is the bigger picture in working out birds who live in other areas away from our gardens too. ;)

bitterntwisted: I already have the Collins book mentioned though I bought it in 2001 (and it is dated in 1996), so I hope a lot of it is still valid. I am sure it is. Yes and I still have the 2 CD's that went along with it too :t:

As you have mentioned, the CD recordings of bird songs are very accurate along maybe slightly distorted here and there through background noises of other birds etc.. I think it teaches us to listen harder and remember what we hear. ;)

DWRG: True you can associate bird songs and 'bird calls' yes "A little bit of bread and no cheese" to me that is a Yellowhammer. It is a useful tool to have. Associated 'words; and bird calls go well together. I see the Woodpigeon as 'What time is it today' thou it is 'co co coo co co'. Silly innuendos like that stick in a persons mind :t:

Anyway 'Coigach' carry on with the good work and let us know what you find out in the future :t: :-O

Peewit

I find that books are of very limited value in identifying or recognising bird calls and song. "A little bit of bread and no cheese" possibly being a rare exception.

The one simply unbeatable method of learning bird call and song for my money though is; to spend time in the field with a few real experts. I was at a local reserve a few weeks ago and the chap that I was with simply pointed skywards and said; Purple Sandpiper.....a bird that on that occasion I would not have spotted in a million years had it not been for his fine tuned and sharp ears.

That kind of fine tuning still evades me I'm afraid but one day....one day.....

It's something else to work on.

Exactly how I feel DGRW (what does that mean?). An expert in song is so helpfull. I have recently started birding with such a person and I am learning so much in so little time.....definetly a great way to learn.

Joanne

Exactly how I feel DGRW (what does that mean?). An expert in song is so helpfull. I have recently started birding with such a person and I am learning so much in so little time.....definetly a great way to learn.

Joanne

Since I don't have the luxury of an expert, I have been looking at the Birdvoice kit advertised in the RSPB Birds magazine, has anyone used this to good effect please?

It would be wonderfull to have a bird guide that used birdsong as an index for both trying to see what you are hearing, or later for finding what you heard out and about e.g. play a recoding and the program searches for a match.

Another thing that would help a lot is when watching Bill Oddie on TV, he seems to have a little saying or rhym which he has stashed away in the old memory banks that ties the sound to the bird. Does any of his books have a comprehensive list of such phrases?

Newbie birdwatcher here who would rather not spend 30 years (haven't got that much time left anyway :-( ) and then realise that via birdsong, I had missed so much ;-))

Jamie

Hi,
I agree that recognising birds by their song is really useful. It's also lovely to here (most) birds sing.

Part of the reason why I got into birds was to understand what I was hearing in the dawn chorus - which I've always enjoyed hearing. So I was delighted when I picked up the Geoff Sample book and accompanying CDs and realised that it was actually possible to distinguish between many birds - and to isolate one song from a background of many (which takes a bit of practice, but as you say, the CDs are great coaching in the reality of hearing birdsong).

It has been extremely helpful being able to dip into the CD. Putting the tracks on the iPod has allowed me to make playlists to help me organise my learning. So I have a playlist of "common" birds - about 30 of the ones which are most commonly heard / seen. I've another playlist for tits and one for warblers.

I don't know whether it's worth investing in other CDs (e.g., the british museum one) or whether to stick with what I have. Do the songs vary from recording to recording to justify this (like bird book pictures) or are they sufficiently similar to mean that a separate set of song would be a waste? I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts...

Dave.

I have learned a few dozen calls, but still have trouble with several very common birds. They have similars ongs with no whistles or distinct buzzy noises. Though I can ID them easily without song, it still bugs me. Also, I can only remember one new song in the field and must go straight to the car or iPod and make a good guess. After I have played maybe five songs I have pretty much forgotten what I heard and only remember the CD just played.

I do not have similar problems with pieces of music, I remember melodies on 2 hearings.

I have recently bought iDentify Digital Field Guide from Birdguides.com of British Birds.
I find the tracks really good when playing on my computer and you can choose to have a commentary on the call and song by Dave Gosnold. I have had a bit of a problem down loading to an MP3 player but that's probably down to me.
Brian

Even the most common birds can have big vocabularies. I've been practicing counting birds for next year's forest bird surveys for the past month. I chased one "new" call off and on for about an hour yesterday, wondering what kind of invasive was making it, only to find out it actually came from the most common native bird, which I've watched nearly every day for the last couple of years. To confuse things more, the populations of the same bird on different parts of the island also have different calls and songs. As far as I know, there's no really comprehensive and well-organized set of recordings available to the public...or perhaps at all. Ah, perhaps that could be my new job... ;)

I started my birding late (in my 40s) after 20 years working as an invertebrate ecologist. I did it by buying Geoff Sample's guides which I think are brilliant. My rationale was this:

As I spend most of time groveling around on the floor catching beetles and bugs (sometimes dragonflies and lepidops) my eyes are always down and but I hear lots. So I decided to try and tick off the calls so I could carry on working at the same time. So my birding started with listening not watching/spotting and this proved excellent because when the trees are in leaf it is tricky to spot the birds, especially with my short sight! I think it is easier to do than most people think. I just think of the songs as little tunes like music I might play on my violin and loaded them onto my ipod to listen to as I walked to work. Now I just listen to the birds themselves...it's great.

Like several posters, I have a walk through my own local patch, which is an area of parkland in Birmingham and I can tick off the Lepidoptera, beetles and bugs and the local birds as I move through. Lately though I have decided to start some serious watching and have bought a Kowa scope and a large DSLR lens for some photography.....

I guess either way you can become a pretty competent birder but being able to both things is a very enriching experience.

Regards

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back