• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood Thrush Behavior? (1 Viewer)

mrs_goodwrench

Hello All,
I have 2 wood thrushes living on my property. They call back and forth to each other every evening (although some distance apart.) Their song is so enchanting and lovely. I do enjoy it! That is not my quandry, however. One of the wood thrushes calls most of the day and I am wondering if he is calling to find a mate (who has not arrived.) The other wood thrush that lives on another part of the property is quiet most of the day versus the one that calls almost all day. I have searched the internet with little success. Am I correct about the birds behavior? Just wondering.......Thanks!

Woodthrush update-I am happy to report I saw 3 woodtrush fledglings at the end of July. What a thrill to hear them all calling back and forth. Their call very similiar to the adults but without the total depth/range. I would love to hear from any other woodtrush enthusiasts. I have been a birder for a long time but I find the woodthrush call the most lovely of any bird. :eek:)

Well, Mrs. G,
You have something in common with Henry David Thoreau who opined that the wood thrush has the most beautiful song of all song birds! It is indeed very lovely.
Cordially,
Bob

Mrs._goodwrench, I am wondering if you are hearing two males that are singing to each other to establish there respective territory's. Mabey your backyard is a bit of a boarder line for the two of them and they are continualy reaffirming their space. This is just a thought. I am glad to hear you have some young ones flying around - it sounds wonderful. These birds have had their challenges lately havnt they?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back