• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

places to look in cambs/beds please (1 Viewer)

lomond

Hi.
Spending 3 days down wyboston lakes next week on a course will walk round in an evening, is there any where else in the area for an evenings birding.

Barry.

Bedford is not far away and Priory Country Park is easy to access. I am told that Broom Gravel pits is also good but I have never been there and have no idea where it is or how to get there or whether access is easy or possible. Harold Odell Country Park is also a possible. I think you need a week?

Last edited:
Bedford is not far away and Priory Country Park is easy to access. I am told that Broom Gravel pits is also good but I have never been there and have no idea where it is or how to get there or whether access is easy or possible. Harold Odell Country Park is also a possible. I think you need a week?

Yes you maby right a week sound good but the company has other thoughts!!

Thanks for the info though.

Barry

Hi,

I live about half a mile from Wyboston and was myself on a two day conference there this week. It is one of my local patches. Unfortunately, the main lakes are private watersports pits and are surrounded by a golf course anyway. The more southern lakes - the one next to the Lakes conference centre is not private but only really home to a few pairs of GC Grebes. Walking further south alogside the river on your right and a smaller lake on your left, you come to a small local nature reserve Begwary Brook. Nice walk but don't expect too much! Essentially you're coming to Bedfordshire in the middle of the breeding season so things are pretty quiet (well quieter than in peak migration season when we might get a Dunlin if we're lucky)! Broom is down the A1 - about 10 mins drive. Access TL168445 and walk south along bridleway to view main lake - full of breeding terns etc at the moment. Probably where you're most likley to bump into a local birder. My other local patch is Roxton - again - breeding birds - 'famous' for its Cat C2 breeding Barnacles if you can be fussed - details on access via Bedsbirdclub.org.uk Crossing the border into Cambridgeshire is probably your best bet (although it is hard to admit that as a Beds birder!). Paxton and Grafham are minutes away - details through the Cambs bird club website. Paxton has its own website too.

Enjoy!

Richard Bashford

Hi,

I live about half a mile from Wyboston and was myself on a two day conference there this week. It is one of my local patches. Unfortunately, the main lakes are private watersports pits and are surrounded by a golf course anyway. The more southern lakes - the one next to the Lakes conference centre is not private but only really home to a few pairs of GC Grebes. Walking further south alogside the river on your right and a smaller lake on your left, you come to a small local nature reserve Begwary Brook. Nice walk but don't expect too much! Essentially you're coming to Bedfordshire in the middle of the breeding season so things are pretty quiet (well quieter than in peak migration season when we might get a Dunlin if we're lucky)! Broom is down the A1 - about 10 mins drive. Access TL168445 and walk south along bridleway to view main lake - full of breeding terns etc at the moment. Probably where you're most likley to bump into a local birder. My other local patch is Roxton - again - breeding birds - 'famous' for its Cat C2 breeding Barnacles if you can be fussed - details on access via Bedsbirdclub.org.uk Crossing the border into Cambridgeshire is probably your best bet (although it is hard to admit that as a Beds birder!). Paxton and Grafham are minutes away - details through the Cambs bird club website. Paxton has its own website too.

Enjoy!

Richard Bashford

Thanks Richard will be there tomorrow,wednesday and home thursday, then back down in two weeks time for two nights so hopefully will get to go some where for a walk round. Barry

Look forward to feedback and a bird list

Not much feed back, too wet to go realy had a walk round the golf course a work mate who was trying to play!!! Not much about usual tits, green finch, 1blackcap, swallows feeding on the lake Turns on the lake grt crest grebe with young.

Grafham and Paxton were my old stomping grounds. I used to regularly help out at Grafham water nature reserve and was involved in the St Neots YOC group. Its a shame you didn't have more time to explore the area.

Grafham and Paxton were my old stomping grounds. I used to regularly help out at Grafham water nature reserve and was involved in the St Neots YOC group. Its a shame you didn't have more time to explore the area.

Hi. Back down there on the 19th for 2 nights can only get out in the evenings as in a course all day, Hopefully the course will finish in good time so can get out and spend more time birding.

Barry.

I'm down there 24 th Jan 2011 for a week's course.

I remember going there a few years ago and saw Green Woodpecker in the little reserve to the south of the centre.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back