• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rufous Bush Chat in SW Spain (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

Years ago when the world was young and all was right with the world (i.e. 1968) I saw a Rufous Bush Chat in SW Spain. However, despite regularly visiting SW Spain over the last three years at the 'right' time of the year, I have utterly failed to connect with the species. OK only one of these trips was a full-on birding jaunt, but my wife's pretty understanding and I have spent a fair bit of time in the field. Not a darn sign of the damn bird though! I've tried several 'supposed' sites - a number near Tarifa, Bolonia, some towards Jimena, Laguna de Medina, etc. Nothing!

So any suggestions of where to look this August? I'll be based 40 minutes south of Jerez (Alcala de los Gazules) for a couple of weeks (though I'll be driving over from Granada where I'll be staying for a few days),

John

Hi John. I can't help about the south-west, but I was talking to a bloke that I met on Sunday who had been staying at Nerja (I mention this because Granada's not far). He said he'd seen one in an olive tree somewhere in the area. The trouble is I don't know the exact location, only that he was close to his digs at the time because from what he said he wasn't doing any travelling when he was there.

I wish I'd got a bit more detail now, having seen your post.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Hi John,

We visited SW Spain in 2006 and used this excellent trip report which has a site for Rufous Bush Chat at Los Palacios, not far from Seville so a reasonable day out for you from south of Jerez.

http://www.surfbirds.com/trip_report.php?id=749

Our main target there was Western Olivaceous Warbler which we saw easily, but the RBC eluded us.

Still could be worth a look. NB the site directions for Los Palacios are unclear, you should use those given Richard Bonser in his also excellent report.

http://www.surfbirds.com/trip_report.php?id=906

After we got back, we also read this report of a successful RBC experience - again, could be worth a try.

http://www.surfbirds.com/trip_report.php?id=955

Good luck.

Thanks Alan. I think the site you mention might be a bit off my route, but it might be useful for another time.

I tried the site you mention, Liz, on my first day out in Spain this May. Got the Olivaceous OK, but not the RBC. I didn't have that much time though & follishly assumed I'd get it at some of the other sites I knew about. No chance! I understand from Richard that he saw the RBCs across the road from the lake.

John

I was on a short city break to Seville a few weeks ago and made a trip down to the lagoon near Los Palacios. I had great views of one Rufous Bushchat at the lagoon on June 25th singing away and giving great views on the southern side in and around the vineyards. I hope to post some pics and a report on my website soon. Attached is one of the pics.

All the best,

Tom

Attachments

• rufous_bushchat_spain3.jpg
    rufous_bushchat_spain3.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 269
Thanks Tom. Los Palacios is clearly shaping up as the best possibility - not much over an hour's drive from where I'll be staying. I spent some time looking more or less exactly where you saw your bird, but it was (relatively) cold and blustery and mid-afternoon. Do let me know youir webpage address so I can enviously look at your photos. I trust you enjoyed Seville - not only a great city but one with some good birds!

John

Hi John
One word of warning, and I am basing it on local breeding birds so may not apply all over Spain but our RBc's disperse in August to the hills. I was at a breeding site last week and was successful with just one bird when previously(a month earlier) I had found at least three nesting pairs.
However good luck with your quest, who knows maybe we will catch up sometime.
All the best Jules

I've also seen the species at Los Palacios, singing from a wire fence around some allotments on the way to the lagoon. This was in early May, however: I'm not sure if they'll be singing in August?
Regards,
Harry

I tried this location out in middle of May and was sucessful in seeing two birds. Might be worth a try.

"Rufous Bush Robin: From the A4 (Cadiz-Sevilla) take the exit to Utrera and head towards the A 92 (Sevilla-Granada). Drive eastwards and take the second exit at El Arahal (SE 435 to Moron). After a few kilometers you cannot see El Arahal any more in your back (because you drove up- and downhill). At the foot of that hill there is a small paved road going southwestwards (to the right). Follow this paved road for a few kilometers (the road goes almost straight after a left bench). This roads ends when an unpaved track starts. Park here and check the small olive trees on the right hand side."

Source: http://www.surfbirds.com/trip_report.php?id=955

Good Luck :)

Good luck John - hope you have some success....

Wouldn't mind hearing how you get on, as this bird is on my wanted list too.....(even though I think my next chance won't be until next Spring)

All the best.... Ray

Hi all, I now back from my usual summer jaunt to Spain and although I did have a few sallies out into suitable habitat, I never chanced upon a Rufous Bush Chat. (I didn't see either of the rarer swifts either, but this is not the place to rake over the horror story that is my attempt to see these two birds inSpain). Frankly, I'd forgotten just how hot it can be in the far south so my searches were more limited than they should have been. Besides, Jules warning that they can be more elusive in August rather sapped my determination. However, now that I have more precise directions for a couple of sites I will make a determined effort next May,
John

Hello John:
The next time which you come to Seville, I will take to see Rufous Bush Chat to you with pleasure. This photo I did it two weeks ago.

Attachments

• Imagen-177.jpg
    Imagen-177.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 212
Hola Fezave,

Unfortunately, the next time I'll be in Spain will be late October when I think the wretched birds will be long gone! I'll also be showing my sister & brother-in-law the sights so won't have much time for birding. Thank you very much for your kind offer, however - certainly I hope to take you up on it somewhen,

John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back