• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown bird (1 Viewer)

tompritch

My wife and I were hiking on Mount Lassen and we observed a bird that was all black and had an orange bill. It was between the size of a blackbird and a crow. We were at about 9000 feet elevation. Does anyone have any ideas what this type of bird might be?

The bird was actually flying by in the general direction from emerald lake toward manzanita lake. I'm just not aware of any birds of that size with orange beaks although I did see a picture of a blackbird/thrush (back east) that had an orange bill.

I was there not long ago, and I don't remember seeing any birds with orange beaks. The only species that might come close is the European Starling. They have an yellow orange bill and they do like to hang out near Manzanita Lake. I looked at the compiled list of birds seen in the past and I don't see anything else that comes close. Anybody else out there that has recently gone to Lassen.

Well, after looking at several pictures online, I think that might be the bird we saw. I'll be more alert next time. Thank you for the help!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back