• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kent Birders - Getting to Pegwell Bay by Public Transport (1 Viewer)

paulwfromtheden

The Kent websites are as useful as the proverbial chocolate tea-pot. Can anyone advise as to the best way to get to Pegwell Bay nature reserve from Ramsgate?
Much appreciated.

I've got deja vu, didn't you want to do it by bike last year if I remember correctly. I don't know much about buses never use them, Ramsgate station is not all that far from Pegwell 3 miles if that, so getting a cab shouldn't be that expensive, It's what I would do. You want to be careful about timing because Pegwell isn't too good in the morning, the sun comes up over the bay and it is very tidal, time of year isn't too great either.
Come down in the autumn and perhaps we could meet up and I could give you a lift.

Mick

I've got deja vu, didn't you want to do it by bike last year if I remember correctly. I don't know much about buses never use them, Ramsgate station is not all that far from Pegwell 3 miles if that, so getting a cab shouldn't be that expensive, It's what I would do. You want to be careful about timing because Pegwell isn't too good in the morning, the sun comes up over the bay and it is very tidal, time of year isn't too great either.
Come down in the autumn and perhaps we could meet up and I could give you a lift.

Mick

Hi MM,
Yes, you kindly provided me with some info last year, but I never made it. Cant remember why, probably the weather! I looked the thread up a couple of days ago.
I remember you saying that it was not too good in the morning, so I was going to get down there a bit later.
Is this not a particularly good time of year? I was hoping to catch some waders as we dont get too many in South London!!! Do you think Oare Marshes or Elmley would be a better bet?
Also, would definitely be up for meeting up in the autumn.
I WILL get to Pegwell Bay sometime!!
Paul

I called in at the station this evening and asked one of the waiting cabbies how much it would be for Pegwell and he said about £4 if that helps.
I don't know about Elmly I have never been there but Oare can be good, though how you would get there I have no idea.
The trouble with Pegwell is like I said the sun comes up over the bay so mornings aren't to good and being very tidal at lowish tides the birds are so far away, they are not that near at high tide because of the vegetation, a scope is essential, having said that I have spent some magical evenings there you just never know your luck.
Another good website for Kent is http://www.kentos.org.uk/recentsigntings/recentsightings.htm
I would say put Pegwell on the back burner for a couple of months it is a bit dull right now.
Mick

Personally I'd go to Oare every time in preference to Pegwell - the birds are much closer! Train to Faversham from London should be quicker and there are occasional buses from Faversham to Oare village (or nearby). I'd get off just before you get to Oare and walk along the creek to the reserve. It's not desperately far to walk from the station anyhow (unless there's a rarity in prospect!) & taxi should be less than that to Pegwell from Ramsgate,
John

Personally I'd go to Oare every time in preference to Pegwell - the birds are much closer! Train to Faversham from London should be quicker and there are occasional buses from Faversham to Oare village (or nearby). I'd get off just before you get to Oare and walk along the creek to the reserve. It's not desperately far to walk from the station anyhow (unless there's a rarity in prospect!) & taxi should be less than that to Pegwell from Ramsgate,
John

Thanks John, Oare's on the list...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back