• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

polarised lenses for fishwatching (1 Viewer)

rozinante

Anarchism is order
Doe anyone carry polarised glasses specificaly to aid underwater viewing?

I was wondering if there was any other features, lens coatings etc that might also help with seeing through surface glare.

I don't normaly wear sunglasses so considerations are purely for underwater viewing.

Any recomendations?

Last edited:
Bog standard polarized lenses are all you need for fish watching. You can put multi layered anti reflection coatings on them if you want but the coatings won't make underwater viewing any easier.

Thats right John, i use them fishing and for driving in wet/sunny weather, for looking out to sea for any great time, basically all the time. Iv got a pair of Shimano diaflash glasses, about £25, cheap compared to some and they are really good all round glasses. You can buy ones that let in more light for Dawn and Dusk watching, But a lightish grey lense will do for all round work. Try to avoid the really dark lenses or the cheap ones, a few extra quid makes all the difference. Mick

While I don't want to spend a lot on them, I think even 1x optics must warrent some consideration of quality if a clear and undistorted view is required.

The problem with items like sunglasses is that fasion considerations seem to vastly outwiegh practical considerations in their marketing and pricing. Even more than with bins! ;) It seems that the fishing fraternity are more concerned than most with effectivnes of designs in this field. As Michael points out, the Shimano range seems worthy of consideration.

Unfortunatly, "smart and sporty" is definatly not my style though. I am more of a "National health Prescription" sort of person, (ah whaterver happened to the National Health Service?) so might well check out Boots first. :) I suspect the Shimano ones may win out in the durability stakes though, being specificaly designed for more sporting useage.

Some interesting points on tints & coatings here if anyone is interested:-

http://www.fishandfly.co.uk/tledit0403.html

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I recently bought a pair of polarised sunglasses online. They cost me £10 including p&p. They are a boon for fishwatching. The effect depends on the time of day and the viewing angle. But it varies from a small improvement (in bright sun) to absolute night and day (see nothing .. see everything) difference. I think they were well worth the price.

Boots told me that they won't be selling the £6.99 polarised sunglasses until next year.

Agree, spend a few quid more than the cheapest - it will be worth it.

And remember that polarized glasses clash with roof prism binos - the phase correction coatings are at odds with the polarization element of the lens and you get all sorts of lovely things going on when combining the two! Reminded me of something from yesteryear . . . .

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back