• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has anyone heard of a cammo net "Wall"? (1 Viewer)

YellowBudgie

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone every heard of, made or purchased a blind/hide that isn't totally enclosed on 4 sides? I have no idea if this would work well but had the idea and was wondering what you thought.

What I was thinking about could be explained like this. You purchase a home soccer goal set the size and shape your looking for, for example:
http://www.amazon.com/Mylec-DELUXE-...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1185045224&sr=8-3

You could buy or make one without any top netting cover or one with some top cover netting that would conceal your head somewhat. If you purchased a soccer goat set you could paint the white poles over or maybe use some camouflage tape.

Replace the netting with some camouflage netting that allows air to flow so it doesn't topple over in the wind but enough material to camouflage and break up your profile from the birds your trying to photo.

I know this wouldn't be something you would want to pack and carry very far. I was thinking about areas where I could drive to and there would not be much walking involved. Or something I could use it in the backyard or a friends backyard.

Just curious if there is such a portable hide on the market or if anyone has tried this before. What do you think?

Thanks!

I think this isn't a bad idea. It would give you a bit more room to move about than the traditional dome hide. I'll have to look into this...

YellowBudgie you would have to use something opaque over the portion behind you or they will be looking straight thru and see you. Also, don't be fooled that because its netting that it won't catch wind, it will, in a big way if its like mosquito netting. I'd recommend rolling them up when you are gone.

You could probably make a fairly inexpensive one using tie dyed mosquito netting and sheets for back curtains. Tie Dyeing should work fine for camo, just use dull colors.

I'd thought of doing something similar with camo net hung off our washing line - on the basis that the birds will come in to feeders only a few feet away if I'm stood behind a wet sheet, but if I'm sat with the camera ready they all disappear!

I always keep a camo scrim net and green clothes pegs in my Billingham.
Much lighter than a hide but no good where there are no trees or bushes to peg to.

Colin.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I've been shooting in a friends front yard and haven't had too much activity the last 3 times. It's afternoons so I don't expect allot. The first time was great, lots of activity and we were far enough where the birds and squirrels, chipmunks would come to feed. After that not much luck. He watches from the house and there's activity when the feed is put out noon time.

Two guys sitting in what looks like a cammo tent to the neighbors is just a little bit too strange for me.

I'll keep trying various ideas or head over by myself in the morning to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back