• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yippee!! They're Back! (1 Viewer)

Tammie

Hi Forum! :hi:

When I stepped outside this morning, I heard it: the song of a pine grosbeak!! I couldn't find the source right away though. A few hours later, a single female was sitting under the feeders. She's been alone all day but I'm sure her family and friends will be round soon. And I get the pleasure of watching and listening to these lovely birds for the next 6 months! Gotta love it! :loveme:
Here's hoping I get some good pictures of them this year.

Hi Tammie,
I'm getting a lot of pleasure out of watching you watching them, if you know what I mean. Glad it's all going well!

Ha! I just knew it was going to be the grosbeaks soon as I saw your title. Looking forward to seeing your photos of them Tammie.

Glad I didn't disappoint, KC! ;) I can't help it. I get so excited when the grosbeaks show up. Hopefully, the evening grosbeaks will return for the winter soon. I had them here for a solid 15 months straight but now, they've been gone for a month with only sporadic showings. I have no idea why. It's wonderful having both kinds together... the sound of them all at the feeders is phenominal!
Geraldine, glad I'm entertaining you! ;) I do get just a little excited about these things!

I get very few birds that I can see out of my window at present, Tammie, and as I've been off work a couple of days with a bad cold, I'm a bit bored. I have seen a few sparrows gathering lately, looking at the hedge, and there seems to be a bit of nest building in the eaves of a house over the road. Isn't it the wrong time of year?

Tammie,

I just checked out your online photo albums and looked at your pine grosbeaks - what beautiful birds! Congratulations on having them back.

Thanks Stacey, they are the #1 reason of why I love October! :) It's even better later in the winter when they are here in large groups and they start singing... it's wonderful.
Geraldine, sorry to hear you're not feeling well... neither is my husband. He's got chronic bronchitis.... hope you're in a better mood than he is! ;)
It does seem strange to see nest building at this time of year. I've never heard of that in the fall. Please let us know what happens with it!
Get well soon! :)

Hi Tammie,
Oh I'm all sweetness and light when I'm ill, as long as NO-ONE COMES NEAR ME!!! Went to doctor today, found I have phlebitis too, but the positive side is it's taken my mind off the cold!
The sparrow(s) are still squeezing in under the eaves carrying bits of dry grass, etc. I'll keep you posted!

Hi Tammie - thanks for sending down the Juncos, spotted the first ones today (Sunday 19th Oct). They usually stay with us for the winter.
Also saw a pair(!) of red breasted nuthatches today in my yard - the first time I've ever seen them. They were scrambling around an old tree, and at the feeders. They are beautiful!
I guess they are always around the area, but now I've started paying attention.

Hi Susan
I know what you mean about the rb nuthatches... I've got quite a few of them hanging around and I love them! They have the neatest call too.
Hope you take good care of 'my' juncos... they'll be back here around March or so, I think.

I started to see Juncos last week. They were hanging out with a bunch of White-throats in a brush pile behind the house. the White-throated Sparrows seem to have moved on but the Juncos are settling in for the winter, just as they do every year. They spend their time in brush along my fence line, nicely convenient to the feeders,
I saw a Brewer's Blackbird yesterday. She was mixed up in a large flock of Red-wings that came through.
When we first came to live here I had a large number of Evening Grosbeaks that came to the feeders all through the winter, then they disappeared and now I only get sporadic visits from them.
I wish that they would come back regularly again.

Snowy Owl, I love the evening grosbeaks too! I had them here for 18 months straight... all through last year and most of this year. 2 months ago, they moved away for a while and now are only here a couple of days a week. Lately, they've been hanging out with some of the pine grosbeaks that have arrived for the winter. I certainly hope they all stay together for the season again. The noisy chaos from them is wonderful!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back