• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Kokako Line onto Tiritiri Matangi (1 Viewer)

About ten days ago Kokako from Taranaki population was released onto Tiritiri Matangi in Hauraki Gulf island. This birds will add diversify to gene pool on island sanctury.
Interesting note that due to extreme variation in region dialect in song and call (maybe exagerate by fragmentating populations) Taranaki birds need learn communicate with existing stocks. So recording call and song 'background music' playing in Tiritiri while new brids get acclimatise to new enviroment.
Rewi

Hi Rewi,

That is wonderful news, you must feel very priviledged to be involved in the project and thank you from me for doing it. I wonder how long it will take the bird to be able to communicate with the birds already on the island? There will be no translator to help it (sorry it's just my humour). birds aren't humans, thank goodness they will accept a newcomer.

Keep us posted about the birds and good luck with your research, recordings, they may help other species round the world.

Ann :flowers: :egghead:

That is great news. I was lucky enough to see one of the Kokakos on Tiritiri in October 2000 and even luckier to get a photo - see attachment. It was taken with a Canon EOS Rebel 35 mm film camera. I hope to go back one day, now that I've gone digital. The next time I would book a night on the island in order to see the kiwis, too.

I think that the Dept of Conservation in NZ is doing a great job to protect the native birds on these offshore islands, like Tiritiri Matangi and Kapiti.

Attachments

• kokako on tiri.jpg
    kokako on tiri.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 115
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back