• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need input on new SLC (1 Viewer)

308CAL

WELL, I AM NOT A BIRDER BUT A HUNTER. I want a large sweet spot, bright, and a large FOV. I also need flare control, I dont want stray light at twilight preventing me from seeing what I need to see... These seem the same as the El's minus the magnesium and different bridge design... these have all the same coatings but are made of aluminum... Whats not to like about these???

How do they compare with other 7x42 binoculars out there??? I heard the 7x42 FL is awesome as is the ultravid but they both cost more..

where is the best place to buy swaro binocs?

Hey 308Cal,

I tend to prefer the 10x42 configuration. In any case, the SLC is about as good as it gets for hunting applications. That's where they got their reputation in the US. The 8x30 is also popular for hunting, and represents a great buy at today's prices.

Blue skies,
Ed

Hey there .308. I'm a hunter too although mostly archery these days. I sure wish that Swarovski made and 8x42 SLC. Given the choice between a 7x42 and the 8x30 (for hunting) I have to go with the 8x30. I personally dont feel that for hunting (out West anyhow) that 7x is enough. I think that 8.5x is the ultimate "all around" hunting magnification but then your in an EL. If you can learn to like the forward focus knob of the 8x30, I think you may really enjoy the form factor of it. It's quite a bit lighter as you already know. In my opinion, the 7x42 would be a weight and magnification handicap. An 8x42SLC would be worth the weight penalty, but we know that doesn't exist.

I'm an optic hunting nut and use the 15x56SLC, 10x42EL, and 8x30SLC. I also use Zeiss 8x42FL and Leica 7x42BAs depending on the type of terrain or hunting that I'm doing. I suppose that in order to comment further, I'd have to know what type of hunting and in what type of terrain you hunt in.

Last edited:
I ended up with the Ultravid in 8x42. Liked everything about it. The FL, while being slightly brighter, suffers from astigmatism around the outer 3rd of the image. the SLC felt great but I liked the ultravid image better for me plus they are more compact.. After looking through the ultravids at night, i wonder if I "need" a brighter binocular.. THey have some really neat looking light traps at 2 positions on the inside of both barrels...really prevents any flare from happeneing...tried looking at a streetlight and all around it at night and couldnt get any flaring

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back