• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swanton Novers Raptor Watchpoint (1 Viewer)

birderbill

Is this watchpoint open this year and if so are the Honey Buzzards present?

I had two really good visits here last year and enjoyed some great views of the HB's. I've been to Great Ryburgh this year and had distant views of a single HB!

Information greatly received,thank you.

Bill

They are very sporadic from here at the moment although still being reported - on Sunday I saw 3 common buzzards. Also I do think that since the Gt Ryburgh site was opened the one at Swanton is not visited so much by birders. HBs used to be seen regularly from Swanton, particularly later on in the breeding season and when the young had fledged. I'm not sure if adults visit Swanton Great Wood so much these days - there has been some management works taking place, plus perhaps it is not such a good "wasp year" so far.

Last edited:
Pyrtle,

Thank you for your update, I'm in Norfolk on Sunday and will call in and give this site a look in the late afternoon. The weather looks as if it's going to be hot and sunny, may encourage some HB's to soar over my head!

regards,

Bill

I was at Great Ryburgh about three weeks ago. The English Nature warden happened to be there too and he said that Swanton Novers was the better of the two sites last year. He didn't really say which site was producing the best sightings this year but I guess the fact that he was at Great Ryburgh may be significant. He also mentioned that one advantage of Swanton is the fact that you have woodlands pretty much all around you, thus giving more chance of seeing a HB flying over.

I guess all of this suggests that you could be in luck at either site. Good weather can only help. Hope you get good views.

DS

Hi all,

a colleague of mine has mentioned to me this morning that he cycled past the "raptor watchpoint near Hindlolveston" and noticed that the board was taken down and a gate was locked. Apparently a couple of people (presumed to be birders) in a car stopped him and asked where the watchpoint was. I assume he means Swanton Novers. Does anyone have any info on the current status of this site?

Thanks,

Jo

I know this is a little late for when the post was put on the board , but its still relevant for the coming year. The Swanton Novers and Wensum Valley Watchpoint ( to give it its proper name as it is not in the parish of Gt Rybrough ) are open between late April and September. They are then locked for the winter as we have had a lot of problems with local kids and if they are used in winter the grass gets very cut up and if the weather is wet during the summer they turn into quagmires.

As for watching Honey buzzards , They usually turn up around 15-18th of May and at that time the Wensum Valley WP is the best place to see them , but they can still be seen from Swanton Novers WP. After the first week in June the honey buzzards tend to go very quiet until early July. Swanton Novers Woods becomes increasingly important for them as the summer progresses and in recent years they tend to desert The Wensum Valley WP from mid July with just the odd sightings.

I am often asked the best time of day to see the honey buzzards and that can depend on the weather , but usually between 9.30 and 5.30 with the midday period being best , but in very hot weather they will be active early in the day. Its usually a waste of time looking for them in rain but a quick spell of sun after rain will often bring them up. Also very hot windless afternoons are usually poor , I suspect they fly so high that they do not get picked up in these conditions. The perfect conditions are a fresh sunny day , moderate winds and some puffy cloud to help you pick them up against.

Just a quick reminder that there is no access to the surrounding woodlands ( if there were we would quickly lose the honey buzzards ) , but there is a public foot path running through the woodland fron Swanton Novers church. In any case you will get far better views from the watch points where there is plenty of open sky. Both watch points are funded and managed by Natural England.

Last edited:
The Swanton Novers watchpoint is now open with a new footpath running across the fields to the edge of the woods. Please remember there is no access from the footpath to the the woods. The honey buzzards are still several weeks away yet , but a selection of common raptors are showing.

The Wensum Valley watchpoint will be reopening during the second half of next week.

There has been a good showing of common buzzards on sunny days this week at Swanton Novers Watchpoint with up to 8 stacked up in a funnel at times and quite a bit of territorial behaviour. Up to 5 sparrowhawks also showing plus kestrels and red kite on Thursday and hobby on Friday. Nightingale and wyrneck also close by a couple of days ago.

Not a lot happening at the Wensum Valley watchpoint apart from 2 cranes mid week feeding in the river valley. The honey buzzards should be here in about 12-14 days time.

A lot of common buzzard activity on sunny days with up to 8 birds stacked up in a tower at a time and a lot of agressive territorial behavour going on. Also up to 5 sparrowhawks in the air at once , marsh harrier and a few Kestrels. During the past couple of days hobby and red kite passed through and close by nightingale and wryneck at the end of the week.

Quiet at the Wensum valley Watchpoint with just a few common raptors seen though 2 cranes fed in the river valley mid week giving good views from the watchpoint. If all goes well the honey buzzards should be arriving in 12-14 days time.

Purpose of footpath?

The Swanton Novers watchpoint is now open with a new footpath running across the fields to the edge of the woods. Please remember there is no access from the footpath to the the woods.

Tideliner - any idea why a new one is in place, to me it will surely only encourage the public to wander into the woods (regardless of signage) and as you mentioned possibly disturb any hbs prospecting for food

The new path at Swanton Novers is Higher level stewardship ( HLS ) scheme for the farmer and not directly anything to do with the NNR reserve though both are governed by Natural England. With HLS some form of public access if required for the farmer to get the grant. The 4-6m field boundaries are being planted with a wild flower\insect mix and a wild bird seed mix so should help the biodiversity of the area. Already its being colonised by early purple orchid.

Access to the woods is difficult at there is a very deep steep ditch running along the reserve boundary and most of the adjacent forestry boundary making access to the woods difficult to say the least. If we have trouble in that direction I will be lurking behind the trees to pounce on anyone , so be warned . As for disturbing the honey buzzards as they feed within the woods rather than along the boundary so it should not have much impact as the total area of NNR\ estate woodland is over 1000 acres and the path only runs along a very small section of it.

Not a good day for raptors today with the cool overcast weather , but a number of common buzzards were visible from the watch point at Swanton Novers along with sparrowhawk and kestrel and a cracking male marsh harrier gave stunning close views from the Wensum Valley Watchpoint along with common buzzard , sparrowhawk and hobby.

An uncomfirmed report of a honey buzzard moving west up the river Wensum valley today. Not stopping so probably passing through on migration as its a bit early for our pair.

Several common buzzards , marsh harriers , 4 hobbly and sparrowhawk and kestrel.

First sighting of the season of honey buzzards came in today. A female seen overhead by a compendent birder this morning at Swanton Novers watch point , followed by a very probable sighting of a distant low male honey mid afternoon by one of the regular birdwatchers and finally about 5.30 one over the watch point at 5.50pm seen by a small group of birdwatchers. I managed to miss them all despite spending 5 hours between the watch points, but still I have the remainder of the summer to catch up with the birds. Also a number of common buzzards in varying plumages , sparrowhawks and a little egret.

From the Wensum Valley watch point no honey buzzard sightings , but plenty of common buzzards , 3 hobbies , sparrowhawk , marsh harrier and just down the road on the first field east of the village of Gt Rybrough by the retirement home a hoopoe showing well most of the day. A big movement of swifts at both watch points with well over 1000 going through the Wensum Valley Watch point.

Good to see several forum members at Swanton Novers this afternoon.

Last edited:
Its been a fairly good week for honey buzzard at Swanton Novers this week with fairly good views for most bird watchers prepared to put in the time for them with lots of display. Two birds have been reported , but I have still to see the second bird. Most mid-late afternoons a red kite has turned up along with up to 8 common buzzards , several kestrels , sparrowhawks and hobbies. Today a notable flock of 32 stock doves were feeding on the fields around the watch point. Once the large numbers of birdwatchers left in the evening a variety of farmland birds came out to play including lesser whitethroat , common whitethroat , greenfinch , chaffinch , yellowhammer and linnet.

Things have been a lot quieter at the Wensum Valley watch point, though odd honey buzzard sightings have been made. Today also 3+ hobbies , sparrowhawks , 5 common buzzards , 2 marsh harrier and a Harris hawk. A drake red crested pochard was also present.

Hi tideliner nice to see you today.

Didn't see much at either watch point at the Wensum Valley watch point i saw 4 or 5 Common Buzzards and 2 Hobbys at the Swanton all i saw was a single Grey Heron.

Sorry you missed out on the Honey buzzards Robert. There were several sightings at Swanton Novers this morning and a possible sighting of two at the Wensum Valley Watchpoint, though some of the description of the display ( roll a coasting rather than wing clapping ) sounds like common rather than honey buzzard display. As yet there is still only a single bird ( on many occasions ) confirmed sighting and if a second bird has been present it has quickly moved through. Shortly after the Wensum Valley watch point sighting the male was wing clapping at Swanton Novers alone which is surpising if his mate had just arrived , I would have thought he would have been with her.

Just getting a bit concerned about the lack of a female so far , but there is still time yet.

Where about is the watchpoint at Swanton novers , as I will be down that way next week . Thanks

It is between Fulmodeston and Hindolveston. TG 010303. If you are not familiar with the area it's off the B1110 Guist to Holt road a couple miles north of Guist. Go north from Guist and take the second left onto the Hindol - Fulmodeston road. It's on the right after about half a mile.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back