• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Day Ringing (1 Viewer)

Iain C

I did my first morning's ringing at Sandwich Bay Bird Obsrevatory this morning and had a thoroughly enjoyable time. Unfortunately I had to leave early to go to work, but in the 3 hours I was there we ringed a load of Goldcrests about 4 Firecrests, a Brambling, a Redwing and assorted Robins, Blackbirds, Song Thrushes and Greenfinches (the others did the work- I watched).

Unfortunately work called and I had to go, but we hadn't stopped for a minute from about 6:30 and it looked like the others would have to wait a while longer for a cuppa!!

Can't wait until next time.

Iain

They are very cute - but I think I prefer Goldcrests. As it happens they were the first Firecrests (and Goldcrests) that I have seen which was an added bonus for me.

Iain

Congratulations Iain. A few months back I accompanied ElAnnie on my first experience of ringing and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it too. It's great to be able to get a better look at the brids up close. We managed a Goldcrest too, but unfortunately no Friecrest that day.

First Day

Hi Iain

Sounds like you really enjoyed it,could not survive without a cuppa though!!!!

Down here esp when it is hot,must keep drinking as it is easy to dehydrate ,but obviously not such a problem in UK.

A good session from what you report,I like Sandwich Bay,was ringing there before the new Obs was built,I have heard the new 1 is really high tech.

Get back there as soon as you can but remember not all days are as good as that,so be prepared,but that is what ringing is all about,it tells us what is not around as well as the opposite.

Un Cordial Salud

Tchagra

Hi Iain,

I remember well my first morning ringing at Gibraltar point in the Winter of 1959 as a trainee under the Bird Observatory warden. We only used walk-in traps - no mist nets - and did'nt operate the Heligoland traps. We caught and ringed about 20 Snow buntings and a few twite. It was a cold and frosty Sunday morning. Pleased you enjoyed your introdution to ringing at Sandwich Bay, keep it up, you will get much pleasure from it.

Best wishes

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back