• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fungi mass (1 Viewer)

tarves57

Not quite sure what these are yet, but they are certainly very squashed together.

Susan

Attachments

• fungimass.jpg
    fungimass.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 225
seb_seb said:
Ive got them in my garden under some conifers......whatever they are?

Probably Coprinus micaceus. This species has stems that are white and brittle and gills that are blackish when mature. It grows on rotten wood.

I wouldn't rule out C disseminatus. It's often hard to know from a photo. I wonder what the cap size is? Phillips gives the max cap height of C micaceus and C disseminatus as 4 cm and 1.5 cm respectively. C micaceus has distinct orange tones to the cap, whereas I don't recall C diss. being orange.

Leif said:
I wouldn't rule out C disseminatus. It's often hard to know from a photo. I wonder what the cap size is? Phillips gives the max cap height of C micaceus and C disseminatus as 4 cm and 1.5 cm respectively. C micaceus has distinct orange tones to the cap, whereas I don't recall C diss. being orange.

Hi Leif, Not sure how one would measure mushrooms but if we take the forthermost top mushroom, it would measure approximately 5cm from point to edge of cap.

The only thing that I could find that distinguishes them from other mushrooms is that they are growing in a clump, hence thinking they might be honey fungus as that was the nearest I could find in my book.

Susan

tarves57 said:
Hi Leif, Not sure how one would measure mushrooms but if we take the forthermost top mushroom, it would measure approximately 5cm from point to edge of cap.

The only thing that I could find that distinguishes them from other mushrooms is that they are growing in a clump, hence thinking they might be honey fungus as that was the nearest I could find in my book.

Susan

Honey Fungus is indeed quite common. However, if you look at the stem of Honey Fungus you will see an obvious ring. Coprinus species have no ring. You also usually see some 'grains' on the cap surface of HF. Note also the shape of the cap. The ones you photographed are conical. Honey Fungus has caps that open out into an umbrella shape. They are also often quite large in diameter. I have seen HF caps 8" across. And of course another feature to look at is the colour of the gills on mature specimens.

Other very common clump forming wood munchers include Sulphur Tuft (Hypholoma fasciculare) which is bright yellow, Psathyrella hydrophila which has brown caps, white stems and brittle flesh, and Galerina Mutabilis which has slimy orange caps and shaggy brown stems. The last one is a good edible mushoom but looks just like several deadly poisonous mushrooms. Even experienced collectors are wary.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back