• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush (1 Viewer)

helenol

I have just noticed 2 thrushes in my garden.

Unless they are side by side for comparison, I can never tell the difference between a song/mistle thrush. I look at photographs of the two, but I can't seem to distinguish between them, and I do find it quite difficult determining what size they are.

What do I look out for that will indicate which bird it is?

H

Mistle is bigger than a blackbird and Song is smaller.

A song thrush has regular arrow shaped spots. Mistle is lighter in colour a grey brown whereas song is warmer.

I know what you mean, Helen.

I've gained a bit of experience this year, which I'll put to the test now, but I advise you wait till our more reliable experts have had their say!

There is a difference in posture... Song Thrushes tend to scurry about, and then "Stop, look and listen", then scurry again.

Mistles don't, and also I believe they stand more upright than Songs.

The speckling on Mistle's breast is bolder, so if it is really clear, then you've probably got a Mistle.

In flight, Mistles have white "underarms" (bit so do Fieldfare!) whereas Songs have a buff/sandy colour.

And Mistles are a bit bigger, but like you said, unless they're side by side...

(How did I do folks?)

Another tip - Mistles don't much like to be on the ground on anything smaller than a football pitch, whereas Song Thrushes tend to like to be in, or close to, dense cover. Not 100% reliable, but it generally holds true.

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Another tip - Mistles don't much like to be on the ground on anything smaller than a football pitch, whereas Song Thrushes tend to like to be in, or close to, dense cover. Not 100% reliable, but it generally holds true.

Michael

There's a mnemonic for that: If it's in the Middle of the field it's a Mistle if it's at the Side it's a Song.

As Michael says it's not 100 % but a good starting point.

Interesting. The two I saw were close to cover, "scuttling" around, seeming nervous at any movement by the collared doves etc. They didn't venture onto the grass, prefering to stay on the sideline in the soil where lots of leaves and things are.

Mistles are much bigger, paler, spotted breast, pale outer tail feathers. They also make a dry sounding 'rattle', often from the tops of trees, which is their usual singing position. The song consists of maybe a dozen or so notes which tend to blend into each other, and is not what you would really consider musical.
The Song lives up to its name - it has a musical song! They invariably repeat their phrases a couple or three times, as if they have just discovered a new one and are checking to make sure they got it right!
To quote Robert Browning:
"That's the wise thrush; he sings each song twice over,
Lest you should think he never could recapture
The first fine careless rapture!"
And he's referring to the Song Thrush.
The Mistle Thrush is also called 'The Storm Cock' because they will sing from their lofty perch into the teeth of a gale!
Hope this is of some use to you!

And an extract of typically cheerful Hardy which would, I'd guess refer to Mistle Thrush:

At once a voice arose among
The bleak twigs overhead
In a full-hearted evensong
Of joy illimited;
And age`d thrush, frail, gaunt, and small,
In blast-beruffled plume,
Had chosen thus to fling his soul
Upon the growing gloom.

So little cause for carolings
Of such ecstatic sound
Was written on terrestrial things
Afar or nigh around,
That I could think there trembled through
His happy good-night air
Some blessed Hope, whereof he knew
And I was unaware.

Probably best to rely on Jonsson and Collins though rather than Hardy and Browning as far as IDs go!

Ivan

I read a description of a mistle thrush call sounding like one of those old football rattles. It was so true

Mistle has all of the wing coverts prominently pale fringed producing a highly variegated pattern, on Song the wings are much plainer.

Spud

I took a photo this morning from inside the kitchen. Bird is approx 40 ft away.

Is it identifiable from this photo?

I am still trying to get a decent pic of it, to no avail...

Agreed, Song thrush.
From this viewing point the colder, greyer colouration of the Mistle would still be quite clear.

Song thrush Helen, Mistle thrush is a bit like a
blackbird bold,proud, and bloody arrogant in the nicest possible way of course!!
bert.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back