• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Books for a complete Beginner in Wildlife Photography (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

I hope I have this subject in the right place on the Forum ;)

Has anyone any recommended books on Wildlife Photography that are ideal for total beginners like me.

My partner has just bought a book titled 'RSPB Digital Wildlife Photography' by 'David Tipling'. Is this suitable for us, or is it too far ahead for us at the moment?

This Forum has inspired us both to learn about this subject now.

I have yet to read this book, and digest all of the information. There is quite a bit of reading too, but it will be worth it. :-O

We also have to purchase a camera to suit too, but all in good time. :-O

Thanks

I read David Tipling's book recently - I'd say it is a pretty good starting point as it gives an overview of most important areas. I would have liked to see a bit more on using the camera's metering modes more effectvely (and I'm not sure I agree with his assertion that centre-weighted mode is best) and some more on exposure compensation - both areas that are important to achieving correct exposure, and both subjects that beginners often find a bit baffling.
On the whole though I found it informative and quite easy to read.

I would recommend any Book by Artie Morris google Birds as Art
David Tiplings book is good. google naturescapes and naturephotographers both very good websites. My blog has links to over 400 bird photographers and alot of their sites have recommendations.

Digital slr masterclass by Andy Rouse is also a great book full of tips in an easy to understand format.

Steve.(Its in the reviews on this site)

Thanks everyone for your help here

gordon g: I must read the David Tiplings book, but I will take note of the lesser areas you having mentioned that need more attention . So you have given good pointers here. ;)

Pluvius: 2 votes for David Tippling book. I will look at the google links, and have taken note of the Book by Artie Morris. I have had a look at your blog too. Will look further into that - lots to do!! ;)

steve: I have look at the preview and taken note of it, so thanks for that. OH is around so we will debate here about what have been mentioned on this thread :t:

Last edited:
Just to point out that Dave Tipling seems to have two books out: I have one called "The Birdwatcher's Guide To Digital Photography" (ISBN 1-904705-84-7, published by Ilex Press) - which I picked up for a couple of quid in one of those clearance book shops.

I don't believe it's the same as the RSPB book, but it is pretty good, and covers all of the basics.

I have Steve Youngs` "Essential guide to bird photography".Although it is aimed solely at film cameras (a few years old now) there are all of the basics and more which are relevent to digital capture (tecniques).It also has sections on feeding stations and hides.I bought it because I liked his work in my monthly mag "Outdoor Photography".

I'm just going through the same process, reading everything I can lay hands on. The 2 Tiplings are good but anything by Andy Rouse is also excellent.He explains everything very clearly and because of his sense of humour (usually at his own expense) you get a real feeling for the writer. His "Wildlife Travel Photography" published by Lonely Planet is a cracking little book. I've also appreciated Chris Weston's "Digital Wildlife Photography".
I reckon if I read roughly the same info. by as many people as possible, some of it might actually stick !!

Just to point out that Dave Tipling seems to have two books out: I have one called "The Birdwatcher's Guide To Digital Photography" (ISBN 1-904705-84-7, published by Ilex Press) - which I picked up for a couple of quid in one of those clearance book shops.

I have Steve Youngs` "Essential guide to bird photography".Although it is aimed solely at film cameras (a few years old now) there are all of the basics and more which are relevent to digital capture (tecniques).It also has sections on feeding stations and hides.I bought it because I liked his work in my monthly mag "Outdoor Photography".

I reckon if I read roughly the same info. by as many people as possible, some of it might actually stick !!

Hi everyone, who has posted here

skywatcher: It is good to meet someone here who is in a similar situation. Good point you made about information, if it repeats itself it will stick in one's mind. :t:

Thank you for your help here once more. :t:

Greatly appreciated :t:

I will keep all information that is posted on this thread too.

It might be worth pointing out that these books are useful additional reading, but there's just as much useful photography information on the web.

It's possibly just as effective to bookmark sites like www.cambridgeincolour.com and dip in and out when the mood/need takes you, along with just getting out, pointing the camera at stuff and taking pictures.

Certainly I don't feel that I learned anything from David Tipling's book, and I'm still very much a beginner, whereas I've been able to understand loads of things thanks to the tutorials in the above website.

Last edited:
I would add luminous landscape as another very good web source for technical info.
Having said all that, the best book for total beginners I ever found was a Ladybird book called something like 'How cameras work'. I read it when I first started playing with cameras at age of 11, then again aged 18 when I got my first slr, and found it gave a really good foundation for understanding what cameras actually do to create an exposure. Once the fundamentals of controlling the amount of light hitting the (in those days) film were in place, the rest was down to practice. Nearly 20 years on, I'm still practising!
I have since lent the book to my nephew when I passed down my old Canon 300 35mm body, and he also found it useful.

Other important considerations are composition, tonal variation and colour use. However, books on photography arent necessarily the best place to find out about this - try a few art galleries as well.

I am happy to count Andy Rouse as a good freind of mine,and "sense of humour" runs through him like a stick of rock!! Algthough he does tend to call me "Mothgoth" which is quite wearing (I haven't been a goth for twenty odd years now)

Despite having him on call for tips I also refer to his book(Digital Masterclass) regularly and have found it a Bible.

PS I supplied the moth he photographed on page 85 ( a very small claim to fame)

Last edited:
hi peewit
i am pretty new to this great digi photography thing too..
i did have a little experience with film years ago..
but in the 6 months or so ive taken this up, ive never read a book on the subject except the manual what came with the camera..its like keith has said get out and click away..basicaly..(so long as your memory card is at least 1gb)
ive had loads of great advice which ive acted on from members of this site..(many thanks again to all)
good luck

Hi,
Try and get hold of a copy of "The Complete Manual of Nature Photography" by Guglielmo Izzi and Francesco Mezzatesta (Phew!) look for it on Ebay, Amazon and second-hand book stores. Its a pretty old book 1981 book amazing info on all Nature stuff including building hides etc. Although it doesn't feature digital cameras because of the age, you will find most of the settings etc will work with Digital SLRs.
I paid £2.50 for mine and would never get rid of it, a real gem.
Cheers
Brian

hi peewit
i am pretty new to this great digi photography thing too..
i did have a little experience with film years ago..
but in the 6 months or so ive taken this up, ive never read a book on the subject except the manual what came with the camera..its like keith has said get out and click away..basicaly..(so long as your memory card is at least 1gb)
ive had loads of great advice which ive acted on from members of this site..(many thanks again to all)
good luck

Thank you everyone for your contribution to this thread. o:)

It is very useful information to have and hold onto, now and in the future.

I will take note of everything that have been mentioned here, and use it to its full potentail now. ;)

Regards
Kathy

Just got another good book today its called "The Wildlife Photographer A complete Guide By Bob Gibbons & Peter Wilson" its a very good book (not digital as its from 1986/88 but lots of useful stuff) Also if anyone is thinking of making a Portable Hide (or Kite in my case LoL) there's quite a bit showing you how to do it including diagrams etc which look very easy to make (I feel a Blue Peter moment coming on)
Hope this helps
Cheers
Brian
Ps i got the book on Amazon for £2.00 bargain!

Hi Peewit, I got given a great little book for Christmascalled "The New, Where To Photograph Wildlife In Britain" by Mike Lane FRPS you can get it from www.nature-photography.co.uk or www.7dayshop.com (cheaper) this book tells you where you can go, where to stand and what choice of lenses etc you may need for a days shooting, tis very good

Jay

Just got another good book today its called "The Wildlife Photographer A complete Guide By Bob Gibbons & Peter Wilson" its a very good book (not digital as its from 1986/88 but lots of useful stuff) Also if anyone is thinking of making a Portable Hide (or Kite in my case LoL) there's quite a bit showing you how to do it including diagrams etc which look very easy to make (I feel a Blue Peter moment coming on)
Hope this helps
Cheers
Brian
Ps i got the book on Amazon for £2.00 bargain!

hi Brian

Thank you for your ideas what books are around at the moment. Amazon sounds a good site to search out books.
I am not too fussed about digital at the moment, but more the general photography as I am a complete beginner (along with my OH)
I like the thoughts about your Portable Kite/hide. Yes, it does very Blue Peter like. ;)
I will take note of the title and the author you have mentioned here o:)

Hi Peewit, I got given a great little book for Christmascalled "The New, Where To Photograph Wildlife In Britain" by Mike Lane FRPS you can get it from www.nature-photography.co.uk or www.7dayshop.com (cheaper) this book tells you where you can go, where to stand and what choice of lenses etc you may need for a days shooting, tis very good

Jay

hi Jay

Again thanks you for your assistance in giving ideas of what books are around. Your links are very helpful indeed. Going on-line seems a better option for good quality books.:t:

I will look into what has have mentioned here, and it is useful to keep too. :t::t:

Regards
Kathy

Jay

I've just sent off for that. Should be an interesting read and ideal for those of us just beginning to get into wildlife photography.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back