• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Those confusing fall feathers! (1 Viewer)

Sylvia

Yesterday morning under the feeders i had a first-year White-crowned Sparrrow. Of course, the ONLY reason i know that is because i looked it up in my big Sibley's guide! I probably never would've figured it out without it. We don't get many White-crowneds; they usually just pass through in spring and fall.

Before yesterday, i didn't realize the first-year sparrows could look so different from the adults. I guess that's why the Sibley's is so big. Boy, am i glad it is! I've solved other bird i.d. mysteries the same way. Are there "exhaustive" guides for the birds on other continents?

Off to work now...

I know what you mean, Sylvia. I had this same problem this week when a female American goldfinch showed up....in winter plumage that I've never seen before. I normally only ever see them in full summer colors so she had me stumped for a little while!

Sibley is pretty good for juveniles and first years, but typically I leaf thru 3 books, Sibley East version did not have all of them.

Once I have a good idea, I often put the bird name and juvenile into Google, and have found good pictures. Putting that juvenile or first year into the search cuts down the hits quite a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back