• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surplus 20-60x/25-75x MCII zoom eyepiece? (1 Viewer)

Neil Hagley

I'm after a used Nikon 20-60x/25-75x MCII zoom eyepiece (Nikon ref 90075). Telescope planet have them new for £199 inc P&P so looking for second hand max £110 incl special delivery. I know some digiscopers have these but don't get on with them for digiscoping so that may be you. Rumour is that Nikon will produce new generation wide angle zoom sooner than later which is why I don't want to spend too much.
thanks Neil

rumour

Chap at a very well known optics retailer; actually suggested I 'hang fire'. Nikon often springs things unannounced but he seemed quietly confident.

rumour

"Strange that you are alone spreading a rumour that might help you secure a bargain eyepiece."

While I was still looking at which EP's were best visually for the ED 82 I saw two of these on ebay. One sold for £125 and the last one (which I know you've seen the link to) for £105 inc so I hardly think looking to pay £110 is some kind of Machiavellian plan. Ebay is usually a good indicator of current second hand values between private sellers. If one can buy new for £199 inc P&P (which I could if I wanted but don't) then 50-55% for second hand is a good rule of thumb if the item is not a collectible.

I am an honest person and I don't appreciate the insinuation. I can assure you the conversation took place. I have always found this particular chap to be fair and knowledgeable and he added that Nikon is well aware that it is lagging behind the new generation WA zooms like the latest 770/880 Kowa which he said are definitley costing them (Nikon) sales.

"Why not "hang fire" for the better item as your optics retailer suggests?"

Because I'm not remotely interested in digiscoping so a wide angle (presumably retailing for £300 or so) has little appeal.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, Neil. I'm one of the sales Nikon has been missing. I was close to going for the Kowa 883, but now I think I'll "hang fire" for a little while.

Henry

I´m half-tempted to sell you mine, which I use less and less all the time. Have you tried the "Classifieds - for sale and wanted" thread? But I´d strongly advise you to think twice....I have 30x and 50x fixed eps (I use the latter on my ED50 as 27x), and the zoom doesn´t get taken out much anymore. I tried it recently seawatching and found it really difficult to find any "targets" at any distance, and any I.D. I clinched, I did it with a 30x. (The zoom is a bit more useful on the ED50, for more casual use). Why don´t you wait and see if Nikon really do produce a wide-angle zoom, and in the meantime save towards it? Make a small sacrifice each week, it´ll probably be ages before the new ep comes out, and put the savings with the 110 sterling you´re prepared to pay for the narrow zoom. I reckon in the long-run it would be well worth the effort. (Sorry, I´m not trying to be patronising, it´s just I really find the 25-75 MCII zoom, which I liked originally, very limiting because of the FOV problem).

(Sorry, I´m not trying to be patronising, it´s just I really find the 25-75 MCII zoom, which I liked originally, very limiting because of the FOV problem).

Not at all Sancho, that's exactly what this forum is all about, sharing experiences and opinions, thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back