• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotting Scope 80 (1 Viewer)

ianowens

I recently purchased a Nikon ed50, which by the is a fantastic scope, with the 13-40x eyepiece. I was sea watching yesterday and the magnification seemed lacking when searching for far out for terns, skuas etc..........i was wondering if the spotting scope 80 is any good, just as a second scope for sea watching, and will the eye piece i have fit it......having bought the ed50/eyepeice i don't have many pennies left.....suggestions???????

I recently purchased a Nikon ed50, which by the is a fantastic scope, with the 13-40x eyepiece. I was sea watching yesterday and the magnification seemed lacking when searching for far out for terns, skuas etc..........i was wondering if the spotting scope 80 is any good, just as a second scope for sea watching, and will the eye piece i have fit it......having bought the ed50/eyepeice i don't have many pennies left.....suggestions???????

Ian,

The eyepiece you have will not fit the spotting scopes, my suggestion would be to get a wide angle eyepiece such as the 27x for your ED50. Generally a wide angle of view is more useful than high magnification for sea watching. The wide angle eyepiece I have mentioned will have the same angle of view as the zoom you have at it's 13x setting, but will give you increased magnification.

Cheers,

John.

Hi Ian and welcome to BirdForum

As Johnny said the eyepeice you have will not fit the spotting scope, but it will work on eth 82mm fieldscope (25-75x zoom). I understand you issue with magnification for seawatching, it is the thing that has put me off going for an ED50, I know for seawatchig I like to have a useable 20-60 zoom.

Thanks for your replies.......money won't stretch to a 82mm ed fieldscope....any other suggestions for a cheaper seawatching setup with a larger objective lense/zoom eyepeice setup........is the eyepiece interchangeable with any other make of scope????

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back