• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope/tripod Carrier (1 Viewer)

TREEBUG

Hi,

I'm about to purchase my first scope and was wondering about the best way to carry the scope and tripod when out birding, preferably keeping the scope attached to the tripod.

Any suggestions?

:flyaway:

Good question. . .

Perhaps it should be the first question when selecting a scope/tripod for birding:

How do I carry this thing for quick easy views?

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

I use a bungy strap fixed to the centre column, the scope (Kowa 823) balances quite nicely by my hip when walking. I also have pipe insulation on the top section of the tripod legs so I can carry the combo on my shoulder without gouging a rut.

I use a bungy strap fixed to the centre column, the scope (Kowa 823) balances quite nicely by my hip when walking. I also have pipe insulation on the top section of the tripod legs so I can carry the combo on my shoulder without gouging a rut.

Thanks for the reply Keith. Do you wear the strap across the body or over the shoulder? Also, any particular make?

I think the Swarovski tripod I'm getting has the piping already on the legs. Wearing the combo on the shoulder is ok for short distances I guess?

Cheers,

Rob

:t:

Thanks for your replies.

The Mulepack and Scopac are just what I was looking for!!

I'll check them both out to see which is the better made.

Thanks guys!!

My own view and I stress my own view is that all of these products are grossly overpriced.

POP

My idea exactly; I made my own with just two pieces of strap for € 2.50 and it's working perfectly. Even a small rucksack can be carried as well.

Nonetheless I would very much like to have a bag in which the whole combo can be carried, scope attached to tripod I mean, as this would give more protection. I'm now finding myself in golf sport stores to search for a bag like that but as yet with little or no succes. The golf bags I've seen all have an ergonomic network covering the opening in which the golf clubs can be put separately, one in each network hole. This makes other use impossible.
My scope and tripod are not heavy, but carrying them with scope attached by a single screw is asking for trouble. I've had scopes come off and dropping on the ground so I'm particularly sensitive on this.

So a bag it must be; when will we see a good ergonomic one in stores? So I don't have to visit sport stores anymore?

Greetings, Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back