• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Now my thread's gone! (1 Viewer)

Richard Fray

Registered Member
Hello all,

I've been having some really bad luck with my digiscoping equipment recently, and the latest in this long line of disasters happened this weekend. The thread on my Nikon Coolpix 4500's lens (which attaches to the adapter) has gone completely, which led to my camera falling off the attachment (oops!) and suffering a rather heavy, but thankfully uneventful landing in the middle of the road.

As it was at the start of an exciting weekend of wildlife photography for me in the Chiricauhua Mountains in Arizona (photos will be posted later on Birdforum and on my website - http://richardfray.topcities.com), I had to improvise, so it's now held on with the only thing I could find at the time - the elasticted string that comes with airport baggage tags!

I suspect that I do my digiscoping a little differently from most, in that I keep the adapter (an EagleEye UK Digimount) permanently attached to the scope's eyepiece (it's quite possible to use the scope, looking through the attachment, although it takes a bit of getting used to) and then screw the camera onto it whenever I need it. I find this a much easier way of getting the camera on quickly than messing around with those thumbscrews all the time and worrying about lining the thing up before I take a photo. I reckon I can be ready to go in about 20 seconds, 15 of which are waiting for the MC-EU1 remote release to decide whether it's going to work or not (and that's a whole new discussion...!).

However, the thread going completely seems to be the major downside. The camera is just over a year old, although it has had very heavy use. I've checked it is the camera's thread that has gone, and not the adapter, by attaching another Coolpix to the adapter, which worked just fine.

So what I want to know is:

1) Has anybody else had this problem?
2) Can I get a new thread?
3) Is there a generic one available (so I don't have to pay the standard $150 Nikon price for anything small and plastic or metal which probably costs a few cents to produce!)?
4) If I can get a replacement, can I fit it myself (thus avaoiding the standard Nikon $250 to take a look at your camera and tell you it's broken!!)?

I've noticed little metal filings appearing whenever I screwed/unscrewed the camera/adapter combo right from the start, so is it congratulations to EagleEye for producing a sturdy, long-lasting product, and thumbs down to Nikon for making their threads out of the cheapest alloy they could find (or plasticine, paper mache...), or is it that EagleEye are using too strong a metal to combine safely with the Coolpix?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Richard Fray

Hi Richard, sorry to hear about another cp4500 nightmare..... though your curious method of attaching the camera to an adapter already mounted on the scope sounds like a recipe for disaster in the long run, it's hard to imagine that screwing the camera on to the adapter is quicker than doing up one screw (and one screw is all that is needed for most adapters).

I always try to emphasise to people that the thread on the coolpix (or anyother fixed lens camera) is very fragile and precious... and often non-repairable. You can't really blame Nikon for the softness of the alloy, it's not a pro camera and not mean't to have anything too heavy attached.

In some ways the old adapters with a 37mm thread were better as you needed to use a 37-28mm step-ring, this could stay permanently on the camera and protect the camera's thread....though vignetting would be slightly worse.

Good luck with the repair.
Regards,
Andy

Other than a possibly expensive repair, the only thing I can think of is maybe cementing the adapter to the camera - if you only use it for digiscoping. A bit drastic considering it's a fairly new camera.

Thanks for the advice, chaps. I'm surprised to hear that it's possible to get along quickly and easily with only using one thumbscrew - using this method I find it really annoying to get the adapter onto the eyepiece, and have to spend some considerable time making sure everything is lined up and tightly secured before I start. The inner collar of my adapeter is loose (should it be?) so it always seems to be a pain to get it on. Maybe it's my adapter that isn't up to scratch after all...

Richard Fray said:
Thanks for the advice, chaps. I'm surprised to hear that it's possible to get along quickly and easily with only using one thumbscrew - using this method I find it really annoying to get the adapter onto the eyepiece, and have to spend some considerable time making sure everything is lined up and tightly secured before I start. The inner collar of my adapeter is loose (should it be?) so it always seems to be a pain to get it on. Maybe it's my adapter that isn't up to scratch after all...
One of things that is important with an adapter (or insert) is that it should fit snugly over the eyepiece so there is very little 'wobble' even without any screws and therefore lens to e.p. alignment is not required by tightening of the screws....this isn't always possible with certain eyepieces, the more parallel the eyepiece barrel the better. The screw is only used to stop the camera falling off or sliding around on the eyepiece.
With my own L.C.E. adapter for the Swarovski 20-60x e.p. I can have camera (with adapter attached) in my pocket and have it attached to the e.p. ready to take a shot within 3-4 seconds..and that includes the tightening of the solitary screw.
Regards,
Andy

I've taken to leaving the 32x eyepiece attached to the LCE adapter which in turn is attached to the camera. I leave the 50x eyepiece on the scope for viewing then when I want to take pics I swap the 50x for the 32x with camera etc already in place.
No wear and tear on the camera thread and the alignment etc is already sorted and with bayonet mounting on the scope it's all over in a couple of seconds.
All part of my learning curve.

Woody

Richard,
As Andy says, you only need to do up one thumbscrew to hold the adaptor onto the scope assuming you have an angled scope. Be careful if you have a straight scope as I do. You will then need to do up at least two screws. I have tried to get away with one but the camera will fall off with ease.

Oh dear Richard. What have you done? Like Andy says your method for attaching your scope does sound like a recipe for disaster. I use an SRB adaptor (very similar to the LCE one) and get away with just one thumbscrew. The adaptor is a perfect snug fit and slots over the eyepiece, ready for use in under 10 seconds. How badly damaged is your thread? I think the best thing for you would be to send it back to Nikon and hope they don't keep it too long. Failing that drop kick it and have a word with your insurance company :eek!:

Sorry to hear that your camera threads have stripped Richard. Have you considered using a different method to hold your camera in place? Maybe the (somewhat old-fashioned) method that I have previously tried maybe a cheap way to use your damaged camera, if you are able to fabricate or have someone do it for you?
The simple support bracket I used is shown within :-
Andy Bright's Digiscoping Forum>Digiscoping Adapters>
(Page 3) Bracket for Cameras without filter thread or are heavy.- Dated Wed. 2nd. April 2003.
Roger

Richard

Sorry to hear your tale of woe, Nightmare situation especially when you are just about to embark on a birding holiday !

May i suggest that you check the collar size for your eagleyee adaptor ? it should fit snuggish to your chosen lens, they come in numbers i believe and it should not be loose, either glue the adaptor to the camera, or an insurance job seems to be the only options you have ?

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back