• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warsaw - choices? (1 Viewer)

Kenbell

Any advice on birding in or near Warsaw?

I will be there on business but luckily have a day free which means the best areas seem too far. Renting a car is an option (Lower Bug Valley?) and any help or directions will be very much appreciated!

Ken

Hi Hubert,

Maybe I'm being too ambitious, but I was hoping for half a day for woodland birds and then half a day for waders!

Help is appreciated!

Ken

In fact, any help or directions from Polish birdwatchers is appreciated - it is a long way from home for me, so most of what I see will be new and exotic......!
If I had to show any preferences, it would be woodpeckers and raptors...

Ken

With car:
1) head north of Warsaw on E77 to Gdansk for ca 45 min, turn to 85 and 575. Your destination: south bank of Vistula opposite Zakroczym. First stop Sady, just right of motorway bridge,
2) second stop - Stare Grochale - drive further west, pass the forest and turn to dirt road immediately after forest ends to the right. Drive or walk north short distance to Vistula (both places: waders, waterbirds, migration)
3) then meadows in Kampinos National Park, drive from Grochale on 579 and turn to minor road in Kiscinne, Wiersze. Find one of several dirt roads going north, park before it, walk on foot to meadows along Kanal Lasica (canal), walk along this canal north of villages Wiersze, Brzozowka (raptors, farmland birds).
4) return on the minor road via Brzozowka, Janowek, Adamowek to 77 towards Warsaw
5) then north Warsaw sewage outlet to Vistula (gulls), go to street Prozy and by foot south around the fence, to find rough road going to the river. If you are short of time - skip it. If you have more time - walk north on paths to get to Las Mlocinski forest park. Keep around the flood dyke where broadleaved trees are.
5 alternative) also northern Warsaw, forest park called "Las Bielanski" or "Rezerwat Lasek Bielanski" north of Podlesna street (broadleaved woodland for Middle Spotted Woodpecker etc.),

You need a full day for it, perhaps skip sewage outlet, if you have enough time, try forest in the morning.

This is realistic for many new birds in one day, this time of the year. Skip Modlin meadows (usually empty in late summer). Skip Stawinoga ponds 35 km east (too far/awkward road).

Last edited:
Without car:
1) go by subway to Kabaty, walk to Las Kabacki on S outskirts of Warsaw (woodland birds, black woodpecker). Try especially east/south east edge of the forest bordering large fields
2) return by subway to Sluzew, take bus 189 and then change at Aleja Krakowska to tram and suburban bus to Raszyn. Stawy Raszynskie - big fishponds on two sides of major road (waterbirds, possibly waders in some ponds are drained).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back