• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hudsonian Curlew (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know why this form has a separate entry? The recent thread in the taxonomy forum indicates widespread consensus that it is still a subspecies of Whimbrel N. phaeopus.

It seems to be one of those cases where Sibley & Monroe 1996 recognized a split where nobody else have agreed with them. I recently tried to edit Whimbrel to tell everybody that it included Hudsonian Whimbrel; at that time, I did not even know that the name Hudsonian Curlew had been used for the same entity, Numenius phaeopus hudsonicus

I suggest waiting a couple of days to see if there is anyone who protests, and if not, I will do a few more edits on Whimbrel and then delete this entry. Another way could ofcourse be to make a note in this entry to say that it is a subspecies entry, but opus does not ordinarity make separate entries for subspecies.

Niels

I suggest that "if anyone protests" is not really a useful standard, since it could very well lead to endless wrangling. This would probably be easier if we had some kind of separate category where people could talk about their favorite subspecies/identifiable forms/clinal variations without multiplying entries in the main database.

I should above have said significant protests, in other words there would have had to be good arguments.

I have now deleted the above page after editing the main Whimbrel page.

Cheers
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back