• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8 h Auckland (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hello,

what is possible during 8 h in Auckland ( Airport ).
Botanical garden is not so far ( maybe 6 - 8 kilometers ).
But there is no public transport.
Taxi is about 100 NZ$.

Best regards
Dieter

Hi, You might have been and gone by now!?.
Anyway, AK Airport is right on the Manukau Harbour, a great deal of the Airport bounders on mud flats, these are feeding grounds for a variety of birds(if the tides out); however be careful if you are sneaking around the edge of the Airport with your bins.....better to have with you a bird field guide than the Koran!.

Hello Stumbler,

I will be there on 1. December.
I think I have to rent a car.
Is there any birdwatching places near the airport ( around 5 - 10 miles ) ?

Best regards
Dieter

Hi Dieter

Probably going independent would be good.

There's some links at http://www.mangerebridge.co.nz/Todo.html ...like Ambury Park , Ihumatao, and Water Care walkway that might be worth a look.
All are within a short distance of the Airport.
There's a birding hide at the Sth end of Ambury Park and access to the shore at the Fossil car park.

If you GoogleEarth the Airport, you'll see where you are in comparison to the areas. Very quiet drive.
Maps are available at http://www.smaps.co.nz/nz/manukau/auckland+airport/.

Mirander is very popular, isn't a real long drive but really depends on how much time etc.

Cheers

Hello Stumbler,

thank You for the informations, sounds very good, so it seems there is a lot of things to do during 8 h stop in Auckland.

Best regards
Dieter

Hello Stumbler,

the advise was excellent.
I start the birdwatching walk in Ambury parc.
At first I saw only Shoveler, Pied stilt, South island Oystercatcher, but than came a cloud of waders.
I suppose there was more than 1.000 birds there.
I was attacted from french fascists in New Caledonia, which means it is there country and foreigner are not accepted. So I came 1 week earlier to Auckland ( Air New Zealand was so freindly and changed the flight immediately ).

Best regards
Dieter

Hi Dieter

Pleased to hear you found the advice worthwhile and had chance to see a bit of the close birding available around AK airport.

I guess there are many birding opportuinities around airports as they often are near a coast or open land....for obvious potential landing/take-off "mishaps"!.

Perhaps an airport birders guide/thread may bring up some great spots for those frequent flyers with short stop-over/lay-over times.

Some airports even have there own resident Raptors to help with bird control to avoid "bird-strike" for planes; even the other controls they use like cannon scarers, predator decoys, shooting etc can all help with movement of birds into nearby viewing areas.

Plenty to do around AK airport Dieter....hope you get the chance to have another look sometime.

Cheers
Stumbler

Hello Stumbler,

we have the same situation at Munich. It is only 4 city train station to Ismaning. But another 4 km to the lake ( bicycle or car is recommended ).
It is not something special, but sometimes suprise is possible.
Last saturday I saw Perigrine, 2 Ross`s Goose.
A Ferruginous Duck should be there, but I did not found.
It is one of the biggest moult place for Red Crested Pochard in Europe.

Best regards
Dieter

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back