• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mexican birds do the strangest things (1 Viewer)

Bonnie Jauregui

Rancho Primavera
In Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco we have observed some behavior which we would like to know if they are "normal".

The acorn-woodpeckers raid the humming-bird and oriole feeders. The hummers don't take much notice, but the black-vented orioles fight the woodpeckers to the ground (and I mean literally) and guess who wins? Is it normal for woodpeckers to take over sugary feeders? Is it normal for woodpeckers and orioles to fight?

We had to put up another feeder around the side of the house so the orioles wouldn't go hungry. Strangely though, the streak-backed are defeated by the black-vented, but they stand up to the wood-peckers. Explain that......

Also I have a friend that has a pair of Mexican Hermit hummingbirds on his property that are tending to two nests simultaneously, he would like to know if this is documented as regular behavior.

Birds are so much fun,

Bonnie

Bonnie,
Sorry I can't be of a lot of help. I've never seen the Acorn Woodpeckers take over a feeder. I have seen a Gila Woodpecker take over a feeder and just about drink it dry. Would assume they would do the same with an Oriole feeder.
Have not heard off hummingbirds tending two nests at the same time.
Lisa

Attachments

• Gila Woodpecker 1.jpg
    Gila Woodpecker 1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 183
  • Gila Woodpecker 2.jpg
    Gila Woodpecker 2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 177
Bonnie,
The Rufous-breasted Hermit male will actually "watch over" several nesting females. We watched one male making his rounds of 3 nests pretty regularly. According to R. Ridgely (Birds of Panama), while the males protect the nest, they don't actually participate in the rearing (most hummer males have nothing to do with this).

You might also want to check out this thread on some other Hermits in Venezuela.

The first photo I ever had published was of an Acorn WP at a hummingbird feeder. It was taken at Santa Rita Lodge in SE Arizona. It's quite a common site in that area. I've not observed the oriole/woodpecker interaction you speak of, but it's certainly the case that they each visit feeders designed for hummingbirds.

Enjoy your birds.

Steve in Houston

Lisa, I love your pictures, I need to take some of the acorns and send them to you. The little acorns drink the feeders (both the hummingbird and the oriole) dry. So do the bats (we have tons of them also, even vampires).

Bonnie

Bonnie, Thanks. I would like to see the Acorns on the feeders. We are getting the bats migrating south right now and the feeders are DRY every morning. Lucky for me only lasts a couple of weeks up here.

Acorns on hummingbird feeder

Lisa, I finally got some shots of the acorns (they had disappeared when their snag fell down). I don't have a camera like yours nor do I know much about photography, so my pics aren't anything like the beautiful ones you take.
Bonnie

Attachments

• acornsonfeeder.jpg
    acornsonfeeder.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 185
  • two acorns.jpg
    two acorns.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 158
Bonnie,
Nothing wrong with these shots - at all. This gives a new meaning to one of our nicknames for the Acorn Woodies - Clowns. They do look like a pair of little clowns up on that feeder. It also looks like one is on guard while the other drinks. Good behavior shot!
Thanks for posting it.
Lisa
Oh, and thanks for the compliments about my shots - a lot of luck goes into each and everyone of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back