• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 20-60/Coolpix 4500 adapter (1 Viewer)

Andrew S

Kentish Mother
I have just bought a Swarovski ATS 80 HD telescope with 20-60 zoom, which I am intending to use with my Coolpix 4500. I also have a Canon MV30 video camera, with a 30.5mm thread, which I might use with the telescope if possible, but not sure whether there would be any great benefit in this.

Now I'm looking for something to stick the two together.

These are my thoughts on the adapters I am considering after reading the various postings:

EagleEye - bit concerned about damaging the rubber eye-cup; attracted by the one stop package they offer - eye-shade, shutter release cable, bracket; not sure whether I would be able to use my Canon with the 28 mm Coolpix version;

LCE - presumably this has the same issue with the rubber eye-cup? - haven't seen any mention of this;

Swarovski - looks good, but is there any benefit in paying the higher price? Does the camera end up nearer the eyepiece lens than with the alternatives?

Anyone out there who's bought all three and used each extensively? Or failing that anyone who can just tell me what to get - need something preferably next week which will then give me time to have a play next weekend before going off to Sri Lanka the following weekend to see what I can digiscope there...

Thanks in advance for responses.

Andrew

Hi Andrew I have the same set-up as you (minus the video camera) I bought the Swarovski adaptor and am pleased with its performance, I leave the two pieces attached to the 4500 and is just slipped onto the scope when I need it and tightened with one screw. I previously used an Eagle Eye on an Optricon ES80 but found it a bit fiddly because of the four screws, price might be an issue with the Swarovski, but I think its worth it, hope this has been of use,good luck :bounce:

Thanks - I've bought the Swarovski one now, but haven't tried it yet...

Currently just marvelling at the amount of money you can spend getting the cable release set up.

Andrew

Andrew, I have an old model Swarovski with the 20-60 eyepiece. I just bought a cp4500 with their electronic remote (despite reading sevral negative comments here: I just couldn't bear the thought of those Heath Robinson mechanical cable releases). I have pretty much decided on a SRB digiscoping sleeve, though their lead time is open ended. Whilst waiting for delivery I plan to try hand holding with a step-up ring. Must get photos of the osprey nesting near here.
Cheers
David

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back