• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Fungus in Missouri, USA (1 Viewer)

Larry Lade

OK all you mycologists out there. I have never seen a mushroom quite like this one!

I found this white thing out in our backyard a couple of days ago. I first I though it was a piece of styrofoam, which had been "nicked up" a bit. But this morning I found this other "white form" breaking through the ground (it had one "nick" in it). I am uncertain just what would be feeding on these fungi. I would suppose that possibly the numerour Fox Squirrels which we have in our yard might find them to their liking.

These two fungi are approximately one foot in diameter (the actual diameter of the one in photos 3 and 4 is not entirely above ground yet).

Attached are a few photos which I shot this morning.
Photo # 1 is of the "nicked up" fungus.
Photo # 4 and photo # 5 are of the fungus beginning to surface, and only has the one "nick" in it

Attachments

• Photo # 001.jpg
    Photo # 001.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Photo # 004.jpg
    Photo # 004.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Photo # 005.jpg
    Photo # 005.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 54
I emailed these photos to our son in New York who has a little mycological background (he has gone out on field trips with a local mycological club). He emailed me back saying that he though these were Giant Puffballs. Well, I have seen puffballs, but never this large!

They look like the giant puffballs (Calvatia gigantea) that I used to find in East Sussex. "Edible and delicious when young" which would explain the "nicks".

"Most giant puffballs grow to be 10 to 70 cm in diameter, although occasionally some can reach diameters up to 150 cm and weights of 20 kg."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_puffball

These two in our yard are approximately 30 cm in diameter.

We have never tried eating puffballs and I think I will wait another day before I try one. Perhaps they would be tasty. The only mycologicals we have eaten are the Common Morels which we sometimes find here in Missouri in the Spring of the year.

It does look like Calvatia gigantea and 30cm is typical. I have never seen semi-buried specimens though. The ones I have seen have been on the surface, usually near scrub, though sometimes in the middle of fields. I once found a park - Stockley Business Park in Hayes - with hundreds of the things. Subsequent years were less fruitful.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back